Joining PET with PET (nonbranded solvent based please)

• Thread starter tonny chandra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet Solvent
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a solvent-based liquid glue that can effectively adhere two transparent PET sheets together without leaving a white fog. The person suggests using potassium hydroxide in combination with chloroform or dichloromethane to reduce viscosity and get the best results. However, there are concerns about the safety and effectiveness of using potassium hydroxide in this way.
tonny chandra
Hi all! I am searching for solvent based liquid glue for adhering 2 transparent PET sheets together. I tried chloroform and dichloromethane, the PET sheets were adhered but resulting of opaque white fog on my transparent PET sheets. Could someone please advice me another nonbranded chemical liquid to adhere them? I am looking for a nice clear bonding result.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I used to face the same problem as you are.Of course you can't adhered pet material with chloroform or even dichloromethane without facing the whiten surface cases,You have to combine them with other material which reduce the viscocity to get the best result.I used to use potassium hydroxide by 20 to 80 percentage,and it got the best results.but please careful since this's a harmful substances,hope this helpful for you.

potassium hydroxide? You do mean solid KOH flakes,don't you. I am not sure that it will dissolve in either choloroform or dicholoromethane,even with heating. The KOH powder will surely inhibit the solvent property of the choloroform,if applied in the form of such suspension,won't it. Could you please tell me how did you have a homogene solution of the liquid choloroform and the solid KOH? Or did you have a specific way to apply them to get a nice bonding result?

Last edited:

1. What is PET and why is it important?

PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, which is a type of plastic commonly used for packaging and containers. It is important because it is lightweight, durable, and has good barrier properties, making it a popular choice for storing food and beverages.

2. What is the purpose of joining PET with PET?

The purpose of joining PET with PET is to create a stronger and more durable bond between two pieces of PET plastic. This can be achieved through various methods such as heat sealing, adhesive bonding, or ultrasonic welding.

3. What are the benefits of using nonbranded solvent based PET joining?

Nonbranded solvent based PET joining offers several benefits, including high bond strength, easy application, and compatibility with different types of PET plastics. It also has a lower cost compared to other joining methods, making it a more economical option.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using solvent based PET joining?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using solvent based PET joining. The solvents used in the joining process can be flammable and may emit harmful fumes, so it is important to follow proper safety precautions and use proper ventilation when working with them.

5. Can PET be joined with other types of plastics using solvent based joining?

Yes, PET can be joined with other types of plastics using solvent based joining. However, the success of the bond will depend on the compatibility of the solvents used and the surface characteristics of the plastics being joined. It is important to conduct compatibility testing before attempting to join different types of plastics.