Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint Probability of Sum Normal

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    Don't know there are anyone can help me out with this. This is just something I asking myself, not a homework I must say.

Let's define X and Y are 2 standard normal random variables. And random variable Z=X+Y.

For real number a, we know P(X>a), the probability of X is greater than the real number a.
    For real number b, we know P(Y>b), the probability of Y is greater than the real number b.
    For real number c, we know P(Z>c), the probability of Z is greater than the real number c.

These are simple things.

We also can determine a joint probability P(X>a and Y>b), the probability of X is greater than a, also Y is greater than b. Since X and Y are independent, this joint probability is still simple to know.

What about joint probability P(X>a and Y>b and Z>c)? Because Z is correlated with both X and Y, I don't know how to do this. Thanks for help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2
    I think you can use the relationship [tex] P(X>a \text{ and } Y>b \text{ and }Z>c) = P(Z>c | X>a \text{ and }Y>b)P(X>a \text{ and }Y>b) [/tex]
  4. Jun 25, 2010 #3
    This relationship is certainly true. However I still don't get this part, P(Z>c| X>a and Y>b).
    when a+b>c, then P(Z>c|X>a and Y>b)=1. And how about a+b<c? How do I express this step function? Or there is just no such function exist.
  5. Jun 25, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Put y on the vertical axis, x on the horizontal.

y = b is a horizontal line.
    x = a is a vertical line.
    x+y = c is a downward-sloping line from (x,y) = (0,c) to (c,0).

As long as x > a and y > b, x+y > c is satisfied if c < a+b. For those values, Prob(x>a, y>b, z>c) = Prob(x>a, y>b).

If c > a+b, you need to figure in the additional constraint z>c. In this region {x>a, y>b, z>c given c > a+b}, Prob(x>a, y>b, z>c) is given by the double-integral of the joint pdf of X and Y, f(x,y) = f(x)f(y), first w/r/t x, from x = max(a, c - y) to infinity, then w/r/t y, from y = b to infinity.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook