Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Jordan Normal Form of Matrices

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Jordan Normal Form of

3,-1,6
    -2,0,-5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the eigen values as lambda=-1

found 2 eigen vectors:

and

now when i try and do (A+I)^2 I get a zero matrix so cannot seem to find the last column of the P matrix to then calculate P-1AP=J

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    anyone?

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If (A+I)^2=0 then ANY vector satisfies (A+I)^2. What you really want to get to the Jordan form is three vectors satisfying (A+I)v1=0, (A+I)v2=0, (A+I)v3=v2. Start by picking v3 outside of the eigenspace spanned by {v1,v2}. That determines the eigenvector v2. Now pick v1 to be any other linearly independent eigenvector.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4
    ok im not quite sure what you mean. when I set (A+I)v2=v3

using my v2= (2 0 -1)

i get a matrix that doesnt multiply to get a jordan form....

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(A+I)v2=0 if v2=(2,0,-1). You have a two dimensional eigenspace spanned by {(-2,0,1),(0,1,0)}. You want to pick three vectors for the basis that satisfy the relations I gave in the last post. Since you want (A+I)v3=v2, you want to pick a v3 OUTSIDE of that eigenspace. Now define v2=(A+I)v3. Since (A+I)^2=0 that will automatically be in the eigenspace. Now pick the final v1 to be another linearly independent vector in the eigenspace. That's a Jordan basis. Just start doing it. You'll see.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook