1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jordan Normal Form of Matrices

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Jordan Normal Form of

3,-1,6
    -2,0,-5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the eigen values as lambda=-1

found 2 eigen vectors:

and

now when i try and do (A+I)^2 I get a zero matrix so cannot seem to find the last column of the P matrix to then calculate P-1AP=J

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    anyone?

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If (A+I)^2=0 then ANY vector satisfies (A+I)^2. What you really want to get to the Jordan form is three vectors satisfying (A+I)v1=0, (A+I)v2=0, (A+I)v3=v2. Start by picking v3 outside of the eigenspace spanned by {v1,v2}. That determines the eigenvector v2. Now pick v1 to be any other linearly independent eigenvector.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4
    ok im not quite sure what you mean. when I set (A+I)v2=v3

using my v2= (2 0 -1)

i get a matrix that doesnt multiply to get a jordan form....

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(A+I)v2=0 if v2=(2,0,-1). You have a two dimensional eigenspace spanned by {(-2,0,1),(0,1,0)}. You want to pick three vectors for the basis that satisfy the relations I gave in the last post. Since you want (A+I)v3=v2, you want to pick a v3 OUTSIDE of that eigenspace. Now define v2=(A+I)v3. Since (A+I)^2=0 that will automatically be in the eigenspace. Now pick the final v1 to be another linearly independent vector in the eigenspace. That's a Jordan basis. Just start doing it. You'll see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook