1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joule-Thomson Expansion of a van der Waals gas

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1

eep

Hi,
    Consider a pipe with thermally insulated walls. A thermally insulating porous plug in the pipe provides a constriction to the flow of gas. We model this as a sudden jump in pressure. A continous stream of gas flows from left to right, with the pressure [itex]p_1[/itex] upstream being larger than the pressure [itex]p_2[/itex] downstream. The gas is in thermal equilibrium on each of the two sides.

For a van der Waals gas, what is the minimal starting temperature for cooling to occur in a Joule-Thomson expansion?

I was able to derive that the enthalphy for a van Der Waals gas is

[tex]
    H = \frac{5}{2}N\tau + N^2(\frac{b\tau}{V - Nb} - \frac{2a}{V})
    [/tex]

and I know that enthalphy is conserved in the process.

I set the enthalphy on both sides equal to one another, and then set [itex]\tau_2[/itex] equal to zero since that is the lowest possible temperature. Solving the equation for [itex]\tau_1[/itex] left me with

[tex]
    \tau_1 = \frac{2Na(\frac{V_1 + V_2}{V_1V_2})}{\frac{5}{2} + \frac{Nb}{V_1 - Nb}}
    [/tex]

I assumed that N would be the same on both sides of the barrier. I don't like this result, however, as it depends on [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex]. Is this correct or should I be approaching this differently?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?