Just a theory question on odd and even functions

In summary, for an odd function, reversing the order of the input will yield a function that is not even.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

If a function is even or odd, what can one conclude about its inverse?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x) = f(-x)

f-1(x) = f-1(-x)

Let g(x) = -g(x)

g-1(x) = -g-1(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

If a function is even or odd, what can one conclude about its inverse?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x) = f(-x)

f-1(x) = f-1(-x)

Let g(x) = -g(x)

g-1(x) = -g-1(x)

Let f(x) = x2, which is an even function. What can you conclude about its inverse?

[tex]\sqrt{x} \neq \sqrt{-x}[/tex]...

I am guessing in general, you can't make any conclusion at all can you lol?

Are you saying that if f(x) = x2, f-1(x) = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]?

Mark44 said:
Are you saying that if f(x) = x2, f-1(x) = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]?

Plus or minus root x

Some questions you should be asking yourself are:
Can an even function have an inverse?
Can an odd function have an inverse?
What sorts of functions have inverses?

flyingpig said:
Plus or minus root x
Then that's not a function. A function produces a single value for a given input.

Well okay, odd functions can have an inverse, f(x) = x, f(y) = y

f(-x) = -f(x) = -x

f(-y) = -f(y) = -y

-y = -x

y = x

What about, say, y = x3?

Does it have an inverse? Is x3 its own inverse, like the very simple function you just picked?

If this function has an inverse, is the inverse even, odd, neither?

It is neither...

So the conclusion is that there are no relationships between odd and even functions and its inverse.

flyingpig said:
It is neither...

So the conclusion is that there are no relationships between odd and even functions and its inverse.
That's not the right conclusion. You can say this about even functions, because even functions aren't one-to-one, and don't have inverses. An odd function [STRIKE]does[/STRIKE] will have an inverse [STRIKE]because[/STRIKE] if it is one-to-one.

Limiting your focus to odd functions, can you say something about whether their inverses are even or odd?

Last edited:
No...y = x3. That example you showed me. y = x1/3 is neither an even nor odd function.

Mark44 said:
An odd function does have an inverse, because it is one-to-one.

You mean like sin(x)?

LCKurtz said:
You mean like sin(x)?
I recant what I said. I have edited my original statement.

One second, I graphed y = x1/3 on Wolframalpha and it didn't look like it was "anti-symmetric" to me.

I graphed it on Maple and I can only see it on the first quadrant.

Every real number has a cube root, which is the same as saying that the domain of the function y = x1/3 is all real numbers.

F(x) = x1/3

F(-x) = -x1/3

F(-x) = -F(x)

So its inverse is also odd?

But doesn't F(-x) = -F(x) for x1/3 also suggest x1/3 is symmetric about the x-axis and therefore not a function?

flyingpig said:
F(x) = x1/3

F(-x) = -x1/3

F(-x) = -F(x)

So its inverse is also odd?

But doesn't F(-x) = -F(x) for x1/3 also suggest x1/3 is symmetric about the x-axis and therefore not a function?

Not so. Rather, F(x)=F(-x) implies symmetry about the y-axis, and so if F(x)=F(-x), then F-1(x) is symmetric about the x-axis. But F(-x)=-F(x) only implies symmetry about the origin.

Yes, that's true- [itex]y= x^{1/3}[/itex] as Mark44 said.

In fact for any odd function, if y= f(x) then f(-x)= -f(x)= -y. That is, if (x, y) is a pair in the function (functions can always be thought of as a set of ordered pairs), then (-x, -y) is also a pair. Now what happens if you reverse the order to (y, x) (getting the set of pairs corresponding to [itex]f^{-1}[/itex])?

1. What is an odd function?

An odd function is a type of function in mathematics where the output value is equal to the negative of the input value, also known as the opposite or inverse. In other words, for any given input x, the output will be -x. Odd functions are symmetric about the origin and have the property that f(-x) = -f(x).

2. What is an even function?

An even function is a type of function in mathematics where the output value is equal to the input value. In other words, for any given input x, the output will be x. Even functions are symmetric about the y-axis and have the property that f(-x) = f(x).

3. How do you determine if a function is odd or even?

To determine if a function is odd or even, you can use the symmetry properties mentioned above. If the function satisfies the property f(-x) = -f(x), then it is odd. If the function satisfies the property f(-x) = f(x), then it is even. Another way to determine this is by looking at the graph of the function. Odd functions will have rotational symmetry about the origin, while even functions will have reflective symmetry about the y-axis.

4. What are some examples of odd and even functions?

An example of an odd function is f(x) = -x^3, while an example of an even function is f(x) = x^2. Other examples of odd functions include sine and tangent functions, while other examples of even functions include cosine and exponential functions.

5. What is the relationship between odd and even functions?

The relationship between odd and even functions is that they are two types of functions that exhibit different types of symmetry. They are also considered as special cases of a more general type of function known as a periodic function. Additionally, the product of an odd and even function is an odd function, and the sum of an odd and even function is an even function.