Just a theory question on the Integral

In summary, the formal definition of the integral is a summation of an area between two points. The Attempt at a Solution is a step by step guide on how to solve an integral. My question is why does i = 1? The convention is to start at 1 because it is easier to visualize the problem this way.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

The formal definition of the integral is

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i)\Delta x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, why does i = 1? Why don't we start at i = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
it is just a matter of convention. the definition you give is derived from splitting an area up into little rectangles and summing the area of them. the convention is to begin the labeling of those rectangles with 1. so, when we sum from 1 to n, we get n rectangles, instead of n+1. since we are letting n go to infinity the result would be the same.

one point of confusion might be the labeling of the points vs. the labeling of the intervals (the rectangles). i was recently turned on to an article that really helps clarify this kind of problem. as soon as i figure out how to post a link i will link it.

flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

The formal definition of the integral is

[tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i)\Delta x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is, why does i = 1? Why don't we start at i = 0?

The partition is usually labeled:

a = x0<x1...<xn-1<xn = b

There are n intervals and n+1 endpoints. You can label the sum from 1 to n or from 0 to n-1 depending on whether you are using the left or right end point subscript to count with, and label the Δx accordingly.

http://betterexplained.com/articles/learning-how-to-count-avoiding-the-fencepost-problem/"

here it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is too much to ask, can you draw me a picture...?

i will try, but don't laugh!

imagine three fence posts, and label them 0, 1 , 2. like this:

| | |
0 1 2

these are the 'points' on the number line, there are three of them, but they only form two spans of fence.

| 1 | 2 |
0_ 1_ 2

for integration, we want to count the 'spans of fence' (rectangles), not the 'posts' (partition points), so to speak.

flyingpig said:
If it is too much to ask, can you draw me a picture...?

When there is more than one person responding to your post, it is a good idea to use the quote button and quote the person you are addressing so they know you are replying to them.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total amount or quantity of something.

2. How is an integral calculated?

An integral is calculated by finding the antiderivative of a function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. This is often done using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the result. An indefinite integral has no limits and gives a function as the result.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration in an indefinite integral?

The constant of integration is a constant term that is added to the result of an indefinite integral. It is necessary because when finding the derivative of a function, the constant term will disappear. The constant of integration allows us to account for all possible solutions.

5. How is the integral used in real-life applications?

The integral is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the distance traveled, or to find the total cost of producing a certain number of items. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of an event occurring.