1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just getting into friction kinetic and static

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    The floor of a railroad flatcar is loaded with loose crates having a coefficient of static friction of 0.30 with the floor. If the train is initially moving at a speed of 43 km/h, in how short a distance can the train be stopped at constant acceleration without causing the crates to slide over the floor?

I use weird variables i've noticed browsing these forums but here we go
    fg = friction with ground
    N=normal force

ok so from my free body diagram i got Force of x and y is:
    x---- Fs = ma
    y----N - mg = ma (which a is 0 since there is not vertical acceleration)

working it down I got N = mg, and using Fg=UN and combining the equations i get

ma=U*mg

divide by m on each side and plug in what i know i get

a=ug
    a=.3 * 9.81
    a= 2.943

Then using my constant acceleration equations i have Vf^2 - Vo^2=2ad

(0)^2 - (43)^2 = 2(2.943)d
    d=314.135

This is the wrong answer apparently though according to the website and I can't for the life of me see what i did wrong. Any help is appreciated thanks! My midterms tomorrow so wish me luck too heh

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi blakester,

I think here is the error. Your acceleration is in m/s2, but your speed is in km/hour. You need to do a unit conversion for the initial speed.

4. Oct 23, 2008 #3
    Oh man such a simple mistake haha! Thanks alot, I'll be sure to double check my units on my midterm in a few hours

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?