1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just joined, not expecting answer to question just how to do it

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    Alright guys, I just signed up to this forum cause I heard from a friend that you guys can help. I dont really want a solution to the problem, I just need help guiding me towards the solution. The problem is...

A gymnast works out on a trampoline. At the instant that she leaves the trampoline, a point on her waist is 2.3 m above the floor and at the center of the trampoline. At that instant, the point has an upward velocity of 7.8m/s and a horizontal velocity of 3.0 m/s. Write equations that describe the subsequent motion of that point and find its maximum height.

All ive got so far (which is probably wrong is): Xo = 0m VoX = 3m/s Yo = 2.3m Voy = 7.8 m/s as well as ax= 3m/s^2 and ay = -9.8 m/s^2

If that is right what would be the function that I plug these values into, and if not, where did I make my error. Thanks for anyone that can get me a little guidance here!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

There is no acceleration in the x-direction.

The basic equation:
    [tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
  4. Sep 5, 2006 #3
    Well doesnt she go 3m/s on x axis, or is there no kind of friction in this problem?
  5. Sep 5, 2006 #4
    well, the only error I can see is the ax=3m/s^2. You have an initial horizontal velocity, but there is no horizontal accelaration. You might want to make use of the formula
    [tex]s_{x}(t)=s_{o} + v_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{o}t^2 [/tex]
    where s is the position, v is the velocity and a is the accelaration.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  6. Sep 5, 2006 #5
    damn.... not fast enough at the latex writing yet...
  7. Sep 5, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

Yes, but there certainly are no forces accelerating her movement in the horizontal direction.
  8. Sep 5, 2006 #7
    so x = 0m + (7.8m/s) + 1/2 * (-9.8m/s^2) ? Im sorta confused how I take the 7.8 m/s and include it with gravity
  9. Sep 5, 2006 #8
    well, if you include the time variable as well as your initial hight of 2.3 m
    y(t) = 2.3 m + 7.8 m/s*t + 1/2 * -9.8 m/s^2 * t^2
    and the output y(t) will be your height at time t
  10. Sep 5, 2006 #9
    So its basicaly (original height) + (Upward velocity) + effects of gravity over time?
    or something like that
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  11. Sep 5, 2006 #10
    Im getting something like 5.4 m was her max height?
  12. Sep 5, 2006 #11
    K i think that equation must be the answer, thanks for the help, i really dont see why they told me horizontal motion if i dont even need to use it lol.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?