Just joined, not expecting answer to question just how to do it

• Thread starter Ready2GoXtr
  • Start date
In summary, the problem presented involves a gymnast performing on a trampoline. At the instant she leaves the trampoline, a point on her waist has an upward velocity of 7.8m/s and a horizontal velocity of 3.0 m/s. The equations for the subsequent motion of this point are given by x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2 and y(t) = 2.3 m + 7.8 m/s*t + 1/2 * -9.8 m/s^2 * t^2. The maximum height of the point is found to be approximately 5.4 m. The error in the initial equation was the inclusion
Ready2GoXtr
Alright guys, I just signed up to this forum cause I heard from a friend that you guys can help. I don't really want a solution to the problem, I just need help guiding me towards the solution. The problem is...

A gymnast works out on a trampoline. At the instant that she leaves the trampoline, a point on her waist is 2.3 m above the floor and at the center of the trampoline. At that instant, the point has an upward velocity of 7.8m/s and a horizontal velocity of 3.0 m/s. Write equations that describe the subsequent motion of that point and find its maximum height.

All I've got so far (which is probably wrong is): Xo = 0m VoX = 3m/s Yo = 2.3m Voy = 7.8 m/s as well as ax= 3m/s^2 and ay = -9.8 m/s^2

If that is right what would be the function that I plug these values into, and if not, where did I make my error. Thanks for anyone that can get me a little guidance here!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no acceleration in the x-direction.

The basic equation:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

Well doesn't she go 3m/s on x axis, or is there no kind of friction in this problem?

well, the only error I can see is the ax=3m/s^2. You have an initial horizontal velocity, but there is no horizontal accelaration. You might want to make use of the formula
[tex]s_{x}(t)=s_{o} + v_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{o}t^2 [/tex]
where s is the position, v is the velocity and a is the accelaration.

Last edited:
damn... not fast enough at the latex writing yet...

Ready2GoXtr said:
Well doesn't she go 3m/s on x axis, or is there no kind of friction in this problem?
Yes, but there certainly are no forces accelerating her movement in the horizontal direction.

dmoravec said:
well, the only error I can see is the ax=3m/s^2. You have an initial horizontal velocity, but there is no horizontal accelaration. You might want to make use of the formula
[tex]s_{x}(t)=s_{o} + v_{o}t + \frac{1}{2}a_{o}t^2 [/tex]
where s is the position, v is the velocity and a is the acceloration.

so x = 0m + (7.8m/s) + 1/2 * (-9.8m/s^2) ? I am sort of confused how I take the 7.8 m/s and include it with gravity

well, if you include the time variable as well as your initial hight of 2.3 m
y(t) = 2.3 m + 7.8 m/s*t + 1/2 * -9.8 m/s^2 * t^2
and the output y(t) will be your height at time t

So its basicaly (original height) + (Upward velocity) + effects of gravity over time?
or something like that

Last edited:
Im getting something like 5.4 m was her max height?

K i think that equation must be the answer, thanks for the help, i really don't see why they told me horizontal motion if i don't even need to use it lol.

1. How do I join a scientific community?

To join a scientific community, you can start by finding a community that aligns with your research interests and goals. This can be done through online research, attending conferences or networking events, or reaching out to colleagues for recommendations. Once you have identified a community, you can usually join by filling out a membership application or contacting the community's membership coordinator.

2. What are the benefits of joining a scientific community?

Joining a scientific community can provide numerous benefits, including access to resources and funding opportunities, networking with other researchers and experts in your field, opportunities for collaboration and mentorship, and staying up-to-date with the latest research and developments in your area of interest.

3. How can I contribute to a scientific community?

There are many ways to contribute to a scientific community, including sharing your research findings, participating in discussions and debates, offering insights and expertise, and volunteering for committees or organizing events. It is important to actively engage with the community to build relationships and establish your presence.

4. Are there any requirements for joining a scientific community?

The requirements for joining a scientific community may vary, but most communities will have some form of membership criteria. This may include a certain level of education or experience, a specific research focus, or membership fees. It is important to research the requirements of a community before applying to ensure that you meet the criteria.

5. How can I make the most out of my membership in a scientific community?

To make the most out of your membership in a scientific community, it is important to actively participate and engage with other members. This can include attending conferences and events, networking with other researchers, contributing to discussions and debates, and taking advantage of resources and opportunities provided by the community. It is also beneficial to establish relationships with other members and seek out mentorship and collaboration opportunities.