Just wondering (concerning PHD Studentships).

• Programs
  • Thread starter Noo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: PhDs available to students in the UK can be broadly split into two types: those who obtain a non-studentship, and those who obtain a studentship. Non-studentship PHDs are generally those who either can not find a suitable studentship/are not accepted to any, or those who desire to research a very particular area and can find funding with relative ease. Studentships are held in lower regard by Institutes/business, as they are often given to those who are already highly qualified and do not offer as much opportunity for research autonomy.
Noo
I'm hoping for a UK perspective on this; though perhaps there is little difference between that and a US one.

The details of and difference between Studentship PHDs and Non-Studentship PHDs are vague in my mind - so, i'll offer my current understanding for you to annihilate.

Non-Studentship:

You self-fund (or find funding from elsewhere) research in a subject of your chosing (provided your University has a research interest in a closely-related field?).

You are expected to (always do?) teach a few classes each semester, and are paid a little for that.

You may allow yourself up to 7 years to complete the PHD (paying an annual fee for each of those).

Studentship:

You (generally) have little choice of research area - rather the University faculty specify a research interest, advertise for research staff (i.e. you) in that field, and if you share that interest you might apply.

Generally a set time-scale of 3 or 4 years.

Do NOT lecture undergrads at the University (strictly?).

And - to generalise - those who attain a non-studentship PHD are those who either; can not find a suitable studentship/are not accepted to any, or; those who desire to research a very particular area and can find funding with relative ease.

A few direct questions:

How many applicants is a University likely to have for any given studentship?

I have very little data, but i must presume there to be many more PHDs attained than Studentships available - therefore the majority of PHDs are attained as non-studentships?

Are Studentships held in lower regard by Institutes/business? (I'm trying to find downsides of Studentships, relative to non-studentships, other than possible restrictions on research topic).

That'll be all for now - thanks in advance to anyone willing to share wisdom

Physics news on Phys.org
Noo said:
I'm hoping for a UK perspective on this; though perhaps there is little difference between that and a US one.

On this topic, there is quite a big difference between the US and the UK.

You self-fund (or find funding from elsewhere) research in a subject of your chosing (provided your University has a research interest in a closely-related field?).

You are expected to (always do?) teach a few classes each semester, and are paid a little for that.

Students can't, in general, give lectures in the UK. As a PhD student, regardless of whether on a studentship or not, you can run tutorials and undertake marking (i.e. be a TA, to coin an American phrase), for which you get paid an hourly wage.

You may allow yourself up to 7 years to complete the PHD (paying an annual fee for each of those).
I don't know of a time limit, but I would advise one to finish a PhD well within 7 years!
Studentship:

You (generally) have little choice of research area - rather the University faculty specify a research interest, advertise for research staff (i.e. you) in that field, and if you share that interest you might apply.

I don't know that this is true. At least in my field, the department advertises for PhD students to work in the general area of expertise of the department, and a successful student will obtain a studentship (if the department has any to give, and the student is sufficiently qualified). If you're looking to work on something that doesn't match the research interests of the department, then you have to ask why you're applying there!

Generally a set time-scale of 3 or 4 years.
You get a stipend and your fees are paid for 3 or 4 years. After this time, you will have to start paying fees and will not receive a stipend, so it's advantageous to finish before this time.

Do NOT lecture undergrads at the University (strictly?).
See above.
How many applicants is a University likely to have for any given studentship?

Depends hugely on the field. I think there were ~12 applicants for my position.

I have very little data, but i must presume there to be many more PHDs attained than Studentships available - therefore the majority of PHDs are attained as non-studentships?
I don't think this is true. In my department, I'd estimate around 80% of students were on a studentship of some kind.
Are Studentships held in lower regard by Institutes/business? (I'm trying to find downsides of Studentships, relative to non-studentships, other than possible restrictions on research topic).
No. If anything, winning a competitive studentship should be held in a higher regard.
The details of and difference between Studentship PHDs and Non-Studentship PHDs are vague in my mind

To sum up, the only real difference between someone on a studentship and someone who is not is that the former gets his\her fees paid for by the studentship and receives a monthly stipend. There is no academic difference.

Last edited:
cristo said:
No. If anything, winning a competitive studentship should be held in a higher regard.

That does make sense.

Thanks cristo, cleared some stuff up.

Related to Just wondering (concerning PHD Studentships).

What is a PHD studentship?

A PHD studentship is a type of funding that supports a student's research towards a Doctor of Philosophy (PHD) degree. It typically covers tuition fees and provides a stipend for living expenses.

Who can apply for a PHD studentship?

Typically, students who have completed a bachelor's and/or master's degree with excellent academic performance can apply for a PHD studentship. Some funding opportunities may also require specific qualifications or experience in a relevant field.

Where can I find PHD studentship opportunities?

PHD studentship opportunities can be found through various sources, such as university websites, scholarship databases, and academic job search engines. It is also beneficial to network with professors and colleagues in your field for potential opportunities.

What is the application process for a PHD studentship?

The application process for a PHD studentship may vary depending on the institution or funding body. Generally, it involves submitting an application, including a research proposal, academic transcripts, and letters of recommendation. Shortlisted candidates may also be required to attend an interview.

What are the benefits of a PHD studentship?

A PHD studentship provides financial support for students to pursue their research goals without worrying about tuition fees and living expenses. It also offers valuable training and networking opportunities, as well as the chance to work closely with experienced researchers in their field.