1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs STFC Funding for EU Student to do phd in UK

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    Is this very recent? can you post a link?

from York Uni website:

European Union Nationals
    EPSRC/STFC PhD Studentships are also open to all EU nationals. For those resident in, or “connected” to, the UK, these studentships provide full funding of University fees and the stipend to cover living expenses. For other EU nationals, EPSRC’s current regulations require the studentships to be held on a fees-only basis (i.e. without a stipend). The Graduate Office estimated that your living costs would be about £9500 per year and would require evidence that you can cover this before your application can be processed.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2008 #2
    I am currently an EU student at university in the UK doing an MPhys, I'm in the UK for the purpose of being a full time student, so If I do a phd will I be eligible for a full stipend? does anyone have a similar situation? thanks in advance.

4. May 2, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This came from the regulations on STFC's website: http://www.scitech.ac.uk/Grants/Studs/studentships.aspx

5. May 2, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. See the link I posted in your other thread.

6. May 2, 2008 #5
    Hi, thanks for the post in the other thread, It seems to suggest that students from the EU who have not been living in the UK for at least 3 years will not be entitled to a maintenance grant, fees only, so what you posted above isn't quite correct.

After some research I found that what has recently changed (2005 onwards) is that from now on 3 years for the scope of being a full time student still count towards that residence status.

7. May 2, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What did I post above- that there are some studentships available for graduate study for international students? This is correct-- there are studentships from places other than STFC and the research councils (my college has college studentships, to pay a stipend to those students who are EU citizens, and who only get their tuition fees paid by STFC).

I'm moving these posts to your thread, since the OP here is asking about undergraduate studies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?