Just wondering, how do you combine series?

• Thread starter johnny872005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, combining series is done by adding the reciprocals of the individual constants and solving for the combined constant. This can be done for both springs and circuits. However, if the springs are arranged in a line or parallel to each other, the method for finding the combined constant changes.
johnny872005
just wondering, how do you combine series? I believe that springs and circuits are done the same way.
If I am combining 2 spring constants for the combined constant, isn't it just
1/k(constant) = 1/k1 + 1/k2 and just solve for k?

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't that just end up being k(constant)=k1+k2?
and hey! I think I'm in your class: Kenneth Gentle, PHY 301, University of Texas?

just kidding! --> it doesn't end up being k=k1+k2
(DUH)

Last edited:
If all of the springs are on a line, the constants is

[tex]\frac{1}{k_1}+\frac{1}{2}+...+\frac{1}{k_n}[/tex]

And if all of the springs are parallel each other, the constant is

[tex]k=k_1+k_2+...+k_n[/tex]

nope, I got fitzpatrik phy 317k at UT ;)

1. How do you combine series using mathematical equations?

To combine series using mathematical equations, you need to first determine the pattern or formula for each series. Then, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division to combine the series. For example, if one series has the formula n^2 and another has the formula 2n+1, you can combine them by adding the two formulas together to get n^2+2n+1.

2. Can you provide an example of combining series using algebraic operations?

Yes, here is an example of combining two series using algebraic operations. Let's say we have the series 1, 4, 7, 10, 13... with the formula 3n-2 and the series 5, 10, 15, 20, 25... with the formula 5n. To combine these two series, we can add the two formulas together to get 3n-2+5n, which simplifies to 8n-2. This new formula can be used to find any term in the combined series.

3. Is there a specific order in which the series should be combined?

No, there is no specific order in which series should be combined. As long as you follow the correct mathematical operations, you can combine the series in any order. However, it is important to make sure that you are combining series with the same pattern or formula.

4. Are there any other methods for combining series?

Yes, there are other methods for combining series besides using algebraic operations. Some other methods include using geometric series, telescoping series, or recursive formulas. It is important to choose the method that best fits the given series and problem at hand.

5. Can series with different types of patterns or formulas be combined?

Yes, series with different types of patterns or formulas can be combined using more advanced mathematical techniques such as partial fractions or generating functions. However, these methods may be more complex and require a deeper understanding of calculus or advanced algebraic concepts.