1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K^2 = J^2 + 1/4 for the central force problem of the Dirac equation

1. Jan 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To whom it may concern,

I am trying to understand the central force problem of the Dirac equation. In particular, I am following Sakurai's Advanced Quantum Mechanics book. There (section 3.8, p.122), it is shown that there is an operator

[itex]K = \beta(\Sigma . L + \overline{h})[/itex]
    where [itex]\Sigma_i = \left(
    \begin{array}{cc}
    \sigma_i && 0 \\
    0 && \sigma_i \\
    \end{array}\right)[/itex]

This operator commutes with the hamiltonian H and the total angular momentum J. At the top of page 123, it is shown that [itex]K^2 = J^2 + \overline{h}/4[/itex]. At some point, we get

[itex]K^2 = L^2 + i\Sigma . (L × L) + 2\overline{h}\Sigma . L + \overline{h} = L^2 + \overline{h}\Sigma . L + \overline{h}^2[/itex]

I don't understand this last equality. Why is [itex]i \Sigma . (L × L) = -\overline{h}\Sigma.L [/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I looked a lot in the literature, but I didn't find any more precise calculation. I don't seem to grasp what L × L means. I know that [itex]\vec{L} = \vec{x}× (-i\overline{h}\nabla)[/itex]. If we had vectors instead of operators, we would have [itex]\vec{L} × \vec{L} = 0[/itex], but what does the vector product of 2 identical operators mean?

Thanks for the help. Best regards,

Kami

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The misleading/confusing notation L x L c/should be a shorthand from [itex] [L_i, L_j] [/itex], i.e. from the commutator.

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Hi dextercioby,

Thank you a lot for your reply, that was exactly what I needed. I did the calculation with that in mind and it worked. In fact, I am ashamed not having seen this by myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook