K.p theory and bandstructure calculations

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for books on k.p theory for beginners at the beginning PhD stage. The participants discuss various resources, including an ebook, journal articles, and books by Kanes and Yu and Cardona. They also mention the importance of practical experience and the specific interest in III-V semiconductors. One participant mentions learning from Gerald Bastard's book, which focuses on heterostructures. The conversation ends with a friendly introduction from a new member.
jimmy neutron
Can anyone recommend any books that cover k.p theory so that a beginner may be able to (eg) get a realistic programme running? Perhaps aimed at the beginning PhD stage (so will have a good background in quantum mechanics)? I find journal articles difficult to follow, and have found no introductory articles.

Cheers, Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
What a coincidence - I was about to start the same thread :) I have an ebook of http://www.springer.com/materials/book/978-3-540-92871-3" ,also there are lots of publications, but mostly I lack practical experience. Any working examples would be very useful, as well as any papers (e.g. lecture notes) that take closer to the practical realization of the theory..Personaly I'm interseted in III-V semiconductors.

Thanks,
Mojo Jojo

Last edited by a moderator:
Kanes' original article isn't too bad. There are a huge number of solid state books that deal with kdotp theory, Yu and Cardona is one of the best.

Personally, I learned it from Gerald Bastard's Wave Mechanics Applied to Semiconductor Heterostructures. As you might have guessed from its title, its focus is on heterostructures, so it spends the first couple chapters constructing the k.p envelope function theory.

Hi There!
This is Phillip!
I am new in this site!
Original article isn't too bad. There are a huge number of solid state books that deal with kdotp theory, Yu and Cardona is one of the best.
Just keep on posting Guys!
Thanks!
Good Luck!...

http://ebookreadersreviewed.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is K.p theory and how is it used in bandstructure calculations?

K.p theory is a theoretical framework used in solid state physics to describe the electronic properties of crystalline materials. It is based on the concept of Bloch states, which describe the behavior of electrons in a periodic potential. In bandstructure calculations, K.p theory is used to calculate the energy bands and bandgaps of a material by taking into account the crystal symmetry and the interaction between electrons and the crystal lattice.

2. How does K.p theory differ from other bandstructure calculation methods?

K.p theory is a perturbative approach, meaning that it takes into account small deviations from a known or simpler system. This makes it more computationally efficient compared to other methods such as density functional theory (DFT) which require solving the Schrödinger equation for the entire system. K.p theory is also more suitable for studying materials with lower symmetry, where other methods may become more computationally demanding.

3. Can K.p theory accurately predict the electronic properties of materials?

K.p theory can provide accurate predictions for simple semiconductors, but it may not be as accurate for more complex materials. This is because K.p theory relies on approximations and simplifications, and may not fully capture the effects of electron-electron interactions or disorder in the crystal structure. Therefore, it is often used in combination with other methods, such as DFT, to improve the accuracy of predictions.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of K.p theory calculations?

The accuracy of K.p theory calculations can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the crystal structure input, the choice of basis set, and the level of approximation used in the calculation. In addition, the accuracy may also be influenced by the material's electronic and structural properties, such as the bandgap size and the degree of anisotropy in the crystal structure.

5. How can K.p theory be applied in materials research and development?

K.p theory is a valuable tool for understanding the electronic properties of materials, which is crucial for designing new materials with specific properties. By using K.p theory, researchers can predict the electronic band structure of a material, which provides important information for applications such as designing new semiconductor devices or optimizing the efficiency of solar cells. Additionally, K.p theory can also be used to study the effect of strain and defects on the electronic properties of materials, which can aid in the development of new materials with improved performance.