Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K.p theory and bandstructure calculations

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    Can any one recommend any books that cover k.p theory so that a beginner may be able to (eg) get a realistic programme running? Perhaps aimed at the beginning PhD stage (so will have a good background in quantum mechanics)? I find journal articles difficult to follow, and have found no introductory articles.

Cheers, Jim

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2
    What a coincidence - I was about to start the same thread :) I have an ebook of http://www.springer.com/materials/book/978-3-540-92871-3" [Broken],also there are lots of publications, but mostly I lack practical experience. Any working examples would be very useful, as well as any papers (e.g. lecture notes) that take closer to the practical realization of the theory..Personaly I'm interseted in III-V semiconductors.

Thanks,
    Mojo Jojo

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Nov 8, 2009 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kanes' original article isn't too bad. There are a huge number of solid state books that deal with kdotp theory, Yu and Cardona is one of the best.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    Personally, I learned it from Gerald Bastard's Wave Mechanics Applied to Semiconductor Heterostructures. As you might have guessed from its title, its focus is on heterostructures, so it spends the first couple chapters constructing the k.p envelope function theory.

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    Hi There!
    This is Phillip!
    Im new in this site!
    Original article isn't too bad. There are a huge number of solid state books that deal with kdotp theory, Yu and Cardona is one of the best.
    Just keep on posting Guys!
    Thanks!
    Good Luck!....

http://ebookreadersreviewed.com/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook