1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Karush Kuhn Tucker problem (minimizing a function subject to a constraint)

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the minimum of f(x,y)= 3x2+y2, subject to the constraints 1<=xy.

2. Relevant equations
    I thought I would use Karush Kuhn Tucker's theorem to solve this.
    ∇f=(6x, 2y) and ∇h=(-y,-x)
    The general equation according to KKT is ∇f=λ∇h.

First case: h<0. According to KKT theorem when h is inactive (<0) then λ=0.
    So the equation becomes 6x=0, therefore x=0 and 2y=0 therefore y=0 which cannot happen due to the constraint 1<=xy (since 1 is not <=0). Therefore this is not a solution.

Second case: h=0
    The equation is 6x=-y and 2y=-x. These seem like inconsistent equations to me?
    I also got 1-xy=0.

What is the next step or am I right in thinking there are again no solutions and there is no minimum or maximum? I'm pretty sure the set is not compact so the min/max may not even exist.

Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd just reason using ordinary Lagrange multipliers. 1<xy is an open set. So setting the derivatives equal to 0 gives the only critical point at (0,0) as you showed, which doesn't satisfy the constraint. So the only possible extrema will be on 1=xy. You should be able to find them using a Lagrange multiplier. No, there obviously won't be a max but you'll certainly be able to find a min.

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    I'm getting the minimum at a value of 2√3, is this correct?

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be best if you showed your work, but yes, that sounds right.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  6. Jan 17, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your "inconsistent" equations are not correct, so their being inconsistent is not important.

You should have 6x = -λy and 2y = -λx, so λ can be found. You should take the positive root (why?) Then, putting the value of λ into one of those equations and using the other equation xy = 1, you get the complete solution. There are two optimal solutions in (x,y) space; do you see why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook