1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange multipliers open constraint

1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the maximum and minimum values of the function f(x, y) =49 − x^2 − y^2
    subject to the constraint x + 3y = 10.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ∇f = <2x,2y>
    ∇g = <1,3>

∇f =λ∇g

2x = λ
    2y = 3λ
    2x = 2y/3
    x = y/3

y/3 + 3y = 10
    y = 3
    x = 1

f(1,3) = 39

Now that is the only point I got, how should I find out whether it is a maximum/minimum/neither? I understand for closed constaints, like x^2 + y^2 =1, but here I don't understand what I am supposed to do. I know that it is a maximum, by looking at the answer key, but I want to understand the process of figuring it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IF there is finite max or min, the Lagrange conditions hold there. If you find only a single point that satisfies Lagrange, that is telling you something.

4. Nov 15, 2014 #3
    In class, my professor found out if it was a max/min looking at the end behaviour, but I have no idea why it was like that. He said as
    x -> inf, y -> -inf
    x -> -inf, y-> inf
    So f(1,3) is a maximum, and it has no minimum. This is what I don't really understand.

5. Nov 15, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, can you find feasible (x,y) values giving f < -1,000? f < -10,000? f < -1,000,000? etc.

6. Nov 15, 2014 #5
    Ohhhhhh, so because f(x,y) when x gets really big will make f < 0, and the same for y getting really big f < 0, so f(1,3) has to be a maximum and there is no minimum because you can keep making f smaller, I understand, would this method work for all cases like this? Or is there a better way, like some kind of "official" check?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. Nov 15, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I outlined one way: the Lagrange conditions have a single solution, so there is only one point that could be a max or a min (and might not even be that---it could be a s addle point). In your example it is easy enough to check that you actually have a maximum, and since that is the only optimum, there cannot be a minimum. However, that might not mean in general that you get something unbounded below. If you had something like ##\max / \min f = 10 - e^{-x^2 - y^2}## and a constraint like the one in your question, you would have a finite minimum, but no maximum; nevertheless, the "supremum" would be at 10, so you have ##f \leq 10##, and you could come as close as you want to 10 without ever reaching it.

8. Nov 15, 2014 #7
    So you can use the second derivative test to check whether it is a saddle point or not correct?
    D = fxxfyy - fyx^2
    D < 0, saddle point

9. Nov 16, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In an unconstrained problem, the second-order necessary conditions for a (local) min of ##f(x,y)## at the stationary point ##(x,y) = (x^*,y^*)## are:
    [tex] f_{xx} \geq 0, \:f_{yy} \geq 0 \; \text{at} \; (x,y) = (x^*,y^*)\\
    f_{xx} f_{yy} - f_{xy}^2 \geq 0 \; \text{at} \; (x,y) = (x^*,y^*) [/tex]
    The second-order sufficient conditions for a strict (local) min at ##(x,y) = (x^*,y^*)## are as above, but with all inequalities being strict.

In a constrained problem with a linear constraint, necessary second-order conditions for a (local) min at ##(x^*,y^*)## positive semi-definiteness of the Hessian matrix
    [tex] H_f (x^*,y^*) =\left. \pmatrix{ f_{xx} & f_{xy}\\f_{xy} & f_{yy}} \right|_{(x,y) = (x*^,y^*)} [/tex]
    projected down into the tangent subspace of the constraint. A sufficient condition for a strict constrained local min is that we have positive-definiteness instead of semi-definiteness in the above, provided that the Lagrange multiplier is nonzero. (If the Lagrange multiplier is zero it is trickier).

For a constrained problem with a nonlinear constraint, you must replace the function f by the Lagrangian
    [tex] L(x,y,\lambda^*) = f(x,y) - \lambda^* g(x,y) [/tex]
    in the tests listed above. (That is, we look at the Hessian of the Lagrangian instead of the function f). Here, ##\lambda^*## is the value of the Lagrange multiplier ##\lambda## at the solution ##(x^*,y^*)##. Note that we fix ##\lambda## at the value ##\lambda^*##, but let ##(x,y)## vary around the point ##(x^*,y^*)##.

All this is a very lengthy way of saying that your suggested test above is not really correct in all its details.

10. Nov 16, 2014 #9
    I didn't understand three quarters of what you posted, but I understand the result. I don't think I will need to know it in this much detail for the midterm though. Thanks for the explanation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted