What is the relationship between Kerr-Newman black hole mass, angular momentum and charge?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Hiranya Pasan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Hiranya Pasan
Messages
30
Reaction score
3
I've been trying to find out the relationship between Kerr-Newman BH mass, Angular momentum and Charge. But I cannot find it. If some know please let me know.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think there is such a relationship? These are independent properties.
 
Orodruin said:
Why do you think there is such a relationship? These are independent properties.

Really?, I thought Kerr black holes having the relationship angular momentum and mass (J=aM), Kerr-Newman black holes also have that kind of a relationship
 
Hiranya Pasan said:
(J=aM)
That is just exchanging the angular momentum for a length scale parameter. Since that parameter is a priori independent of the mass, the angular momentum does not have a one to one relationship with the mass. As an example, the Schwarzschild black hole is a Kerr black hole with J = 0 (or, equivalently, a=0).
 
Hiranya Pasan said:
I've been trying to find out the relationship between Kerr-Newman BH mass, Angular momentum and Charge. But I cannot find it. If some know please let me know.

Thank you

Perhpas you are looking for the relationship

$$M^2 >= Q^2 + (S/M)^2$$

where M is the mass of the black hole, Q is the charge, and S is the angular momentum, all in geometric units. S/M is called a in my text, which is MTW's "Gravitation". A body which violates this condition would not be a black hole, but a 'naked singularity'.