Killing vectors for Anti desitter space in 3+1

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim Kata
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Space Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Jim Kata
Messages
198
Reaction score
10
I'm trying to derive the lie algebra for Anti desitter space in 3+1 I know it's O(4,1) and I think I understand that but I'm taking different approach. I tried to derive the conformal killing vectors by solving Killing's equation, but when I got my solution the conformal factor vanished :confused: .

The solution I got for the Killing vectors is:




[tex] \xi _t = - r\sqrt {1 + \left( {r/R} \right)^2 } \sin \theta \left( {A\sin \phi \cos \left( {t/R} \right) - B\cos \phi \cos (t/R) + C\sin \phi \sin (t/R)} \right)[/tex]

[tex] \xi _r = \frac{R}<br /> {{\sqrt {1 + \left( {r/R} \right)^2 } }}\sin \theta \left( {A\sin \phi \sin (t/R) - B\cos \phi \sin (t/R) - C\sin \phi \cos (t/R) + D\cos \phi \cos \left( {t/R} \right)} \right)[/tex]

[tex] \xi _\theta = rR\sqrt {1 + \left( {r/R} \right)^2 } \cos \theta \left( {A\sin \phi \sin \left( {t/R} \right) - B\cos \phi \sin \left( {t/R} \right) - C\sin \phi \cos \left( {t/R} \right) + D\cos \phi \cos \left( {t/R} \right)} \right)[/tex]

[tex] \xi _\phi = rR\sqrt {1 + \left( {r/R} \right)^2 } \sin \theta \left( {A\cos \phi \sin \left( {t/R} \right) + B\sin \phi \sin \left( {t/R} \right) - C\cos \phi \cos \left( {t/R} \right) - D\sin \phi \cos \left( {t/R} \right)} \right)[/tex]

These do satisfy the killing equation, but I feel like i"m missing something.

they only has 4 unknowns A, B, C, D not 10 like SO(1,4), also I don't understand how Teitelbohm and Henneaux got their lie algebra in their paper asymptotically anti de sitter spaces.

Any help will be much appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the isometry group of AdS(n,m) consider its embedding in M(n,m+1) (Minkowski spacewith one extra time dimension). We can consider AdS as the set of points in M such that x2 = -R2.
Now consider the isometries of M that leave AdS invarient; it is not hard to show that this is O(n,m+1); hence O(n,m+1)< Iso(AdS(n,m));
As dim(O(n,m+1)) = (N2-N)/2 = (n+m)(n+m+1)/2; N = n+m+1
wehave that O(n,m+1) = Iso(adS(n,m)), Ads space is maximally symmetric.

To compute a basis for the lie algebra (in some coord's) use co-ord patch of the embeding of AdS and then compute which vector will be pushed forward to give all lin indep killing vectors in the embedding