Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Killing vectors in KS coordinates

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I want to prove (or disprove) that the vector with components
    [tex]\xi^u = \frac{v}{2 r_s}\hspace{5 mm} \xi^v = \frac{u}{2 r_s}[/tex]

is a Killing vector of the KS space-time with line element

[tex]\frac{4 r_s^3}{r} e^{-\frac{r}{r_s}} \left( du^2 -dv^2\right) + r^2 \left( d\theta^2 + sin^2 \theta d\phi^2\right) [/tex]

Here r is an implicit function of u,v, which is handled by a constraint equation.

However, I seem to be having a hard time getting GRT to handle the contraints. I try

[tex]\left( \frac{r}{r_s} - 1 \right) e^{\frac{r}{r_s}} = u^2 - v^2[/tex] directly, but it doesn't simplify.

I try to feed it the following
    [tex]

{\frac {\partial }{\partial u}}r \left( u,v \right) =2\,{{\it r\_s}}^{
    2}u \left( r \left( u,v \right) \right) ^{-1} \left( {e^{{\frac {r
    \left( u,v \right) }{{\it r\_s}}}}} \right) ^{-1}

[/tex]

but it complains about "illegal use of object as a name", I can't see what it's objecting to.

So a) -does this look like the right expression for the Killing Vector? And b) - how does one successfully get the constraints into GrTensor?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Don't need any complicated algebra, it's true almost by inspection. Just show directly that the Lie derivative of gμν with respect to ξμ is zero. The coordinate transformation is u → u + εv, v → v + εu. Then u2 - v2 → u2 - v2 so it obeys the constraint, and du2 - dv2 → du2 - dv2 so it's an isometry, and that's really all there is to it!

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I set r_s to 1, and renamed r to rr,and finally got GRT to crunch through it,but your way is both much easier and more insightful. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook