1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kilogram Newtons (Extremely Easy Question!)

1. May 17, 2006 #1
    Very sorry, but I just don't know..

If there is a 5kg load on an object, let's say a book on a table.. what is it's force in kgN? Is it 5kg x 9.8?!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the weight of a 5kg mass is about 5*9.8 = 49 Newtons.

4. May 18, 2006 #3
    maybe he is getting at the difference between kgm and kgf (kilogram mass and kilogram force)?

5. May 18, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good point.

If by "5 Kg load" you mean the weight of an object whose mass is 5 Kg, then find the force via w = mg. The load equals (approximately) 5*9.8 = 49 N as I stated above.

On the other had, if by "5 Kg load" you really meant a load (force) of 5 kgf (Kilogram-force, a unit of force, not mass), then convert to standard (SI) units of force (Newtons) using the definition of 1 kgf = 9.80665 N.

Of course, for many purposes either one is close enough.

Note: kgN is not a unit (that I am aware of). Mass is measured in kg (also called kgm for kilogram-mass); force is measured in N (or kgf, for kilogram-force).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?