Kinematic Equations - Why can't I solve like this?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a Physics-101 question involving two cars, one at rest and one traveling at a constant speed, with the first car accelerating at a constant rate. The relevant variables and equations are provided, and the student attempts to solve the problem using a method that involves setting the final positions of the two cars equal to each other. However, the provided answers are incorrect and the student realizes that the book may have errors. The student thanks the expert for their help in confirming the accuracy of their method.
DaleSwanson
Ok, pretty basic Physics-101 question. However, I don't understand why my method for solving isn't working.

Homework Statement

Two cars. Car one is at rest, while the car two is traveling at a constant 16.66 m/s (given as 60 km/hr). At the moment car two passes car one, car one begins accelerating at a constant 2 m/s2. Eventually car two overtakes car one. At that point what is the distance, time, and speed of car one?

Car one = s for sports car, car two = f for friends car.
Here are all the relevant variables:

car one or "s":
vs0 = 0 = initial velocity of car one
vs = ? = final velocity of car one
xs0 = 0 = starting distance of car one
xs = ? = final distance of car one
ts0 = 0 = starting time of car one
ts = ? = final time of car one
as = 2 m/s2 = acceleration of car one

car two or "f":
vf0 = 16.66 m/s = initial velocity of car two
vf = 16.66 m/s = final velocity of car two
xf0 = 0 = starting distance of car two
xf = ? = final distance of car two
tf0 = 0 = starting time of car two
tf = ? = final time of car two
af = 0 m/s2 = acceleration of car two

Homework Equations

kinematic equations
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_kinematic_equations"

The Attempt at a Solution

So, just to get it out of the way the answers from the back of the book are: speed=33 m/s, distance=190 m, and time=11 s. I suspect these might be wrong. If something accelerates at 2 m/s2 for 11 seconds it will be going 22 m/s, not 33 m/s.

I figured that since we are trying to find the point at which the cars meet again then the time, and distance at the end must be equal.

ts = tf and xs = xf.

[tex]
x_{s} = 0 + 0t_{s0} + \frac{1}{2} * 2 \frac{m}{s^{2}} * t^{2}_{s} = 1 \frac{m}{s^{2}} * t^{2}_{s}
[/tex]
[tex]
x_{f} = 0 + 16.66 \frac{m}{s} * t_{f0} + \frac{1}{2} * 0 * t^{2}_{f} = 16.66 \frac{m}{s} * t_{f}
[/tex]
So I can just set xs equal to xf

[tex]
1 \frac{m}{s^{2}} * t^{2}_{s} = 16.66 \frac{m}{s} * t_{f}
[/tex]

Since ts = tf, I should be able to change it to use all one or the other. Then solve for t. However, doing that gives t = 16.66 s.

I tried the same general idea except replacing xf with the other distance formula. That ended up giving me t = 8.33 s.

So I guess I have several questions:
1. Why doesn't my method work?
2. Are the provided answer correct?
3. How do you actually solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSwanson said:
Since ts = tf, I should be able to change it to use all one or the other. Then solve for t. However, doing that gives t = 16.66 s.

Seems right to me.

DaleSwanson said:
I tried the same general idea except replacing xf with the other distance formula. That ended up giving me t = 8.33 s.

What other distance formula?

DaleSwanson said:
So I guess I have several questions:
1. Why doesn't my method work?

I think your first method does.

DaleSwanson said:
2. Are the provided answer correct?

No, not as far as I can tell.

DaleSwanson said:
3. How do you actually solve this?

Since the car's positions are equal when one overtakes the other, you set the expressions for the positions vs. time of each car to be equal to each other.

cepheid said:
What other distance formula?
Sorry I was trying to cut down on vertical space so I just referenced the formulas in the link.
The distance formula I used above was:
x = x0 + v0t + .5at2
The second distance forumla I mentioned is:
x = x0 + .5(v0 + v)t

The second equation uses v, which is unknown for car one, but known for car two. Since the two are both solved for x, I tried using the first one with the car one variables in it. Then set it equal to the second with the car two variables plugged in. Earlier I got 8 m/s using that method. However, just now, I realize that is because I used 0 for vf0 instead of 16 m/s.

So I suppose the book is wrong. This is the second error in only a handful of problems we've done. I'm glad I didn't buy the book for $150. If my method is correct then I have no problems figuring out the rest. Thanks for your help.

1. What are kinematic equations and how are they used?

Kinematic equations are mathematical equations that describe the motion of objects. They are used to solve problems involving an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

2. Why can't I use the same method to solve kinematic equations as I do for other equations?

Kinematic equations are unique in that they involve multiple variables such as time, displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These variables are all interconnected and cannot be solved for separately like in other equations.

3. How do I know which kinematic equation to use for a specific problem?

You can determine which kinematic equation to use based on the given information in the problem. If you are given the initial and final velocity, displacement, and time, you can use the equation that includes those variables. It is important to also consider which variable you are trying to solve for.

4. Can I use kinematic equations for objects with non-uniform motion?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used for objects with non-uniform motion. However, in these cases, the equations may need to be modified to account for changes in velocity and acceleration over time.

5. Why is it important to use the correct units when solving kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations involve physical quantities such as distance, time, and velocity, which all have specific units of measurement. Using the correct units is important because it ensures that the final answer is in the correct unit and is accurate. It also allows for easier conversions between units if needed.