1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics (a little more difficult then I am used to)

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ball A is released from rest at height of 40 ft at the same time Ball B is thrown upward from 5 ft off the ground.

If the Balls pass one another at 20 ft above the ground, determine the speed at which ball B was thrown upward.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]v=v_o+at[/itex]
    [itex]v^2=v_i^2+2a(y-y_i)[/itex]
    [itex]y-y_i=v_it+.5at^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have used the information about ball A to determine the time it takes A to reach a height of 20 ft:
    Choosing down as positive, [itex]20=16.1t^2[/itex]

thus, t=1.115 s. Now this must be the same time that B reaches 20 ft. I know that g is pulling down on it and it must cover a vertical distance of 15 ft in 1.114 s.

I am just getting stuck in trying to write that last sentence algebraically.

~RW

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    You're on the right track. You are looking for the initial velocity of ball B. We know the displacement (15ft), we know the acceleration (-32.2 ft/(s^2)) and you found the time it takes to travel this distance (1.115 s) it takes to reach that value. Which equation would you chose, to solve for Vinitial?

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    Oh good grief. I feel like such a mutton-head (is mutton-head hyphenated?).

Thanks Midy,
    ~RW

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?