How Far Will the Cart Travel at Increased Speeds?

In summary: First read the question....I am mechanical engineer and I am working with motion...so he asked us that A cart has initial velocity is 0.5m/s and displacement 1m and the same track, the experiment do again and the cart velocity 1m/s and how far it moves? he mentions same track and the experiment do again...that is the mean key to understand the problem...in this question he only wants to know the displacement...first find out its time when it moves 1m...So v=X/t...0.5=1/t and t=2s... Now its initial velocity 1m/s
Scholar1

Homework Statement

A cart is initially moving at 0.5 m/s along a track. The cart comes to rest after traveling 1 m. The experiment is repeated on the same track, but now the cart is initially moving at 1 m/s. How far does the cart travel before coming to rest.[/B]

Homework Equations

W=ΔKE[/B]
Ffd=1/2mv^2
d is proportional to velocity squared

The Attempt at a Solution

0.5^2=0.25
1^2=1
1/0.25=4m

The answer is 2 meters

Physics news on Phys.org
what is problem there. Do you know the exact answer. I may try. But it is not as complex as you think. it is basic. The cart displacement depends on applied force.

I already posted the problem and my attempt at the solution. But I got the wrong answer.

yes i got the answer

It is not the energy problem

it is kinematics problem. Look there is only matter time. Ok

Explain..?

time is equal both cases. so time is 2s

That doesn't really help..?

Ok, of course, you need to know the basic physics. v=x/t...0.5=1/t...t=2s... for second case...x=vt----------v=1*2=2m

Ahmad Hossain said:
what is problem there. Do you know the exact answer. I may try. But it is not as complex as you think. it is basic. The cart displacement depends on applied force.

Ahmad Hossain said:

Ahmad Hossain said:
Ok, of course, you need to know the basic physics. v=x/t...0.5=1/t...t=2s... for second case...x=vt----------v=1*2=2m

I do not believe you can just assume the times are the same.

you may forget, you use the same track...so common sense.

it is not so complex. Read the book...it is better

Ahmad Hossain said:
you may forget, you use the same track...so common sense.

That doesn't make sense at all... Thats like saying any two trains on the same track will stop in the same amount of time. You are completely ignoring other factors.

that's why i advice you read the book Tipler physics...it is very high level book...so you can find the answer. In forum i cannot explain all things in a short time ...i am also busy,,,,,,,,,I just give you the right answer...your conception you need to clear it...I cannot do it in a short time...may be you do not have deep knowledge in physics.so it can happen.

Ahmad Hossain said:
that why i advice you read the book Tipler physics...it is very high level book...so you can find the answer. In forum i cannot explain all things in a short time ...i am also busy,,,,,,,,,I just give you the right answer...your conception you need to clear it...I cannot do it in a short time...may be you do not have deep knowledge in physics.so it can happen.

I think it is best you let someone else help on this one. You are only telling me I do not understand physics instead of solving the question correctly. I already provided you the answer and then you just told me my answer again.

Scholar1 said:
0.5^2=0.25
1^2=1
1/0.25=4m

The answer is 2 meters
Why do you think the answer is 2 meters?

I'd say that your initial answer of 4 m was correct.

Doc Al said:
Why do you think the answer is 2 meters?

Thanks for your reply. I actually thought the answer was 4m based on my work above. The answer key says the answer is 2m. Therefore I clearly am doing something wrong and need help. Hence I posted on this forum...

Scholar1 said:
The answer key says the answer is 2m. Therefore I clearly am doing something wrong and need help.
Not necessarily. The answer key can be wrong.

The key is: what is the same between the two trails? The assumption must be that the retarding force and thus the acceleration is the same.

Which leads to your answer of 4 m. The faster car has 4 times the energy and thus 4 times the work must be done to stop it and thus 4 times the distance.

So you are saying I am correct?

Ahmad Hossain said:
Why in the world would you think the time was the same? And where did you get 2 s?

Scholar1 said:
So you are saying I am correct?
Yes.

Doc Al said:

The key is: what is the same between the two trails? The assumption must be that the retarding force and thus the acceleration is the same.

Which leads to your answer of 4 m. The faster car has 4 times the energy and thus 4 times the work must be done to stop it and thus 4 times the distance.

Doc Al said:
Yes.
Wonderful. Ahmad Hossain just trolled me for an hour and insulted me for no reason.

Scholar1 said:
I think it is best you let someone else help on this one. You are only telling me I do not understand physics instead of solving the question correctly. I already provided you the answer and then you just told me my answer again.
Doc Al said:
Yes.
no, 4m is totally incorrect...because common sense

Ahmad Hossain said:
Please state your reasoning and calculation. "Common sense" is not a physics principle.

Ahmad Hossain said:

I do not think you understand physics and merely are a troll.

just you should go to you professor ask that I am wrong or he is wrong...I know something but it is not mean I know false.

Doc Al said:
Please state your reasoning and calculation. "Common sense" is not a physics principle.
you told me why 4m...

Ahmad Hossain said:
just you should go to you professor ask that I am wrong or he is wrong...I know something but it is not mean I know false.
We already know that you are wrong. Unless you show us your calculations to prove otherwise.

Ahmad Hossain said:
you told me why 4m...
I did and so did Scholar1. Show us where the mistake lies.

First read the question....I am mechanical engineer and I am working with motion...so he asked us that A cart has initial velocity is 0.5m/s and displacement 1m and the same track, the experiment do again and the cart velocity 1m/s and how far it moves? he mentions same track and the experiment do again...that is the mean key to understand the problem...in this question he only wants to know the displacement...first find out its time when it moves 1m...So v=X/t...0.5=1/t and t=2s... Now its initial velocity 1m/s and inital velocity can differ and it depends on your applied force...so you can travel same distance in a same time and initial velocity can differ. final answer x=vt...x=1*2 =2m

Ahmad Hossain said:
first find out its time when it moves 1m...So v=X/t...0.5=1/t and t=2s...
This calculation is incorrect. The speed is not constant. (Hint: Find the average speed.)

Ahmad Hossain said:
Now its initial velocity 1m/s and inital velocity can differ and it depends on your applied force...so you can travel same distance in a same time and initial velocity can differ. final answer x=vt...x=1*2 =2m
This is wrong. (For multiple reasons, including the same error made above.) You cannot just assume the the same time. Use physics!

Scholar1 said:
Doc Al said:

billy_joule said:
EDIT: Sorry, posted my mistake. Can't figure out how to delete it!
what you do not understand.
Doc Al said:
This calculation is incorrect. The speed is not constant. (Hint: Find the average speed.)This is wrong. (For multiple reasons, including the same error made above.) You cannot just assume the the same time. Use physics!
I use same time because of his question and you can change initial velocity because you applied force is different.the box has same mass and the track is same...it is better you do the experiment. I am sure 100%...

Ahmad Hossain said:
I use same time because of his question and you can change initial velocity because you applied force is different.the box has same mass and the track is same...
What do you mean by "applied force"? The force that gives the car its initial speed? That is irrelevant. What matters is the force from the track, which is the same.

Ahmad Hossain said:
I am sure 100%...
But still wrong.

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion, including the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is Energy Problem in Kinematics?

An Energy Problem in Kinematics involves calculating the energy of an object or system based on its motion and position. This can include potential energy, kinetic energy, and work done by external forces.

3. How do you solve Kinematics/Energy Problems?

To solve Kinematics/Energy Problems, you need to first identify the given variables, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, you can use equations of motion and energy conservation principles to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are the units of measurement used in Kinematics/Energy Problems?

The units of measurement used in Kinematics/Energy Problems are typically meters (m) for distance, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration, and joules (J) for energy.

5. How is Kinematics/Energy used in real-life applications?

Kinematics/Energy is used in various real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of vehicles, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the speed and acceleration of athletes, and in engineering to optimize the efficiency of machines and structures.