1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics in 2 dimensions; position vector problem.

1. Aug 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A particle moves in the horizontal plane that contains the perpendicular unit vectors i and j. Initially it is at the origin and has velocity 18ims^-1. After accelerating for 10 seconds its velocity is (30i + 8j)ms^-1. Assume that the acceleration of the particle is constant.

a) Find the acceleration of the particle
    b) Find the position vector of the particle when the velocity is (36i + 12j)ms^-1.

2. The attempt at a solution

For (a) i managed to find out the acceleration being (1.2i + 0.8j)ms^-2 using v=at+u and rearranging it to a=(v-u)/t.

But for (b) it says the answer is 405i + 90j

I've tried it over and over again but I don't think the question was specific enough (probably just me not understanding it).

I've tried it this way using:

u=18i + 0j
    v=36i + 12j
    t=10
    R (position vector; i used R=(t/2)(u+v))=5(u+v) which gives the vector R= 240i + 40j

I've tried it by replacing the initial velocity with 36i + 12j but that didn't work either. I can probably work out the question if I understood what it basically is asking for.

Someone Please run me through this, I'm not good at mechanics :'(

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2012 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

You have the wrong value of t. At t = 10 the velocity vector is 30i + 8j m/s, not 36i + 12j m/s. What would t have to be in order for the velocity vector to be 36i + 12j m/s?

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3
    I only said t=10 because that was the only time value in the question and i couldn't use acceleration from my previous answer because I'm using a different velocity value now.

I'm so confused...

5. Aug 19, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If [itex]\vec{v}_0[/itex] is the initial velocity vector and [itex] \vec{a}[/itex] is the (constant) acceleration (both of which you know from part (a)), the velocity vector v(t) and position vector r(t) at time t, starting from the origin, are
    [tex] \vec{v}(t) = \vec{v}_0 + \vec{a} t,\\
    \vec{r}(t) = \vec{v}_0 t + \frac{1}{2} \vec{a} t^2.
    [/tex]

RGV

6. Aug 19, 2012 #5
    It is a constant acceleration.
    Use equation v2=u2+2as

7. Aug 20, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are. You can use acceleration from your previous answer- you have to- you are told that the acceleration is constant. Having a different velocity is due to the acceleration not being zero, not that the acceleration changes.

8. Aug 20, 2012 #7
    Oh i see :) I got confused because when i did pure I was taught that you couldn't divide matrices (i was looking at r=(v^2-u^2)/2a) and i was working all these out in matrix form (as a column vector) and it didn't occur to me to dividing it through because i was deliberately avoiding that. I tried dividing the i and j units and it came to the right answer.

Thank you :)

9. Aug 20, 2012 #8
    Shouldn't stumble into this problem again :D Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook