Kinematics in 2d of eagle flying

In summary, the fish is dropped by an eagle flying horizontally at 6.0m/s. The time it takes for the fish's speed to double is 1.1s, and an additional 1.3s is required for the speed to double again. The chapter is labeled "kinematics in 2d" and the initial time is not given. The fish's initial speed is 6 m/s and it starts accelerating due to gravity when dropped. The resultant speed needs to be 12 m/s, and then doubles again to 24 m/s with the same horizontal speed. The Pythagorean theorem is used to find the combined velocity.
Inonin
1. An eagle is flying horizontally at 6.0m/s with a fish in its claws. It accidentally drops the fish. (a) How much time passes before the fish's speed doubles? (b) How much additional time would be required for the fish's speed to double again?

2. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this problem, but at this moment i truly have no idea how to do this. It just seems to not make sense to me because wouldn't the amount of time it takes to double depend on the initial speed it gives you? I have the answers in the back of the back and the answers it gives me are (a) 1.1s (b) 1.3s

3. Alright well this chapter was labeled kinematics in 2d so i tried finding the velocity of the fish, and since i was not given the initial time, i subbed in 1. The horizontal component given was 6.0 m/s and the vertical component is the acceleration due to gravity. To find the combined component, i used the Pythagorean theorem and got ~11.49 m/s. This answer means to me that at 1 second, the speed of the fish is 11.49m/s. To find twice the speed, i multiplied it by 2 and squared it, getting ~528. I replugged that into the Pythagorean theorem making it 528 = 6^2(no acceleration) and (10t)^2. Solving this i got 2.22 s...which is not the correct answer.

Was there enough information given in the problem to solve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated =P

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you have assumed the time would be 1 initially. Take the time the eagle drops the fish as 0. You're along the right lines with the method however. When the fish is first dropped at t=0 it is traveling at 6m/s horizontally. Now you have to find out what the time will be when the fish is traveling at 12m/s.

That should be enough to get you the right answer I hope.

The fish has an initial speed of 6 m/s (the velocity is horizontal and let's assume constant if we neglect air resistance). Remember speed is simply the magnitude of velocity without regard to direction.

When the fish is dropped, it starts accelerating due to gravity, so one has to determine the vertical velocity, and then add the horizontal and vertical velocities, such that the resultant speed is 2 x 6 m/sec = 12 m/s.

then the speed again doubles to 24 m/s, but still with the same horizontal speed.

the Pythagorean theorem is correct.

I was thinking in terms of velocity so comparing the horizontal velocity and the combined velocity just didn't make sense to me. I feel kind of stupid now haha. Thanks for the help though :smile:

1. What is kinematics in 2D of eagle flying?

Kinematics in 2D of eagle flying refers to the study of the motion and movement of an eagle in two dimensions. This includes analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of the eagle as it flies through the air.

2. How do scientists measure the motion of an eagle in 2D?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to measure the motion of an eagle in 2D. This can include high-speed cameras, motion sensors, and GPS tracking devices. By collecting data on the eagle's position and movement, scientists can analyze its kinematics in 2D.

3. What factors affect the kinematics of an eagle flying in 2D?

The kinematics of an eagle flying in 2D can be affected by several factors, including wind speed and direction, the eagle's body position and wing movements, and any obstacles in its flight path. These factors can impact the eagle's velocity and acceleration as it moves through the air.

4. Can kinematics in 2D of eagle flying be used to study other birds?

Yes, the principles of kinematics in 2D used to study eagle flight can also be applied to other birds. By studying the kinematics of different bird species, scientists can better understand how they fly and adapt to their environments.

5. How can knowledge of kinematics in 2D of eagle flying be applied in other fields?

The study of kinematics in 2D of eagle flying has various applications in fields such as biomechanics, aerospace engineering, and wildlife conservation. By understanding how eagles move through the air, scientists can develop more efficient flying machines and design better strategies for protecting and preserving eagle populations.