Kinematics - Motion along a straight line

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics assignment that involves finding the time it takes for a faster car, B, to catch up with a slower car, A, that has a head start. The conversation includes various equations and attempts at solving the problem, with the final correct solution being t = Da/(vb-va).
SA32
I’m having difficulty with an assignment for my Physics class.

Here’s the question:

“Cars A and B are racing each other along the same straight road in the following manner: Car A has a head start and is a distance [tex]D_{A}[/tex] beyond the starting line at t = 0. The starting line is at x = 0. Car A travels at a constant speed [tex]v_{A}[/tex]. Car B starts at the starting line but has a better engine than Car A, and thus Car B travels at a constant speed [tex]v_{B}[/tex], which is greater than [tex]v_{A}[/tex].

How long after Car B started the race will Car B catch up with Car A?
Express the time in terms of given quantities.”

My embarrassingly unsuccessful attempt:
My thinking was that, when Car B catches Car A, [tex]x_{A} = x_{B}[/tex].

I substituted the given quantities for Car A and Car B separately into the equation,
[tex]x = x_{o} + v_{ox}(t-t_{o}) + \frac{1} {2}*a_{x}(t-t_{o})^2[/tex]

where:
x = position as a function of time
xo = initial position
vox = initial velocity
t = a certain time
to = initial time
ax = acceleration

For Car A, I got (simplified):
[tex]x = D_{A} + v_{A}(t)[/tex]

For Car B, I got (also simplified):
[tex]x = v_{B}(t)[/tex]

Equating them, [tex]D_{A} + v_{A}(t) = v_{B}(t)[/tex], and solving for t, I got:
[tex]\frac{v_{B}t - D_{A}} {v_{A}} = t[/tex]

Which is incorrect.

I know I shouldn’t have “t” on the left side, but other than that I’m completely lost and would really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Having issues fixing the fraction in my answer, so I'll try again here.

Here is what I got:

[tex]\frac{v_{B}t - D_{A}} {v_{A}} = t[/tex]

It may be easier to consider their relative velocity ([itex]v_{r} = v_{B}-v_{A}[/itex]).

Thanks a bunch, got the answer!

I have the same question with the cars. I've made car A equal to car B and was able to get this equation:

Da + va(t) = vb(t) and then i subtracted va(t) and then took out the common factor of t like so:

Da= t(vb-va)

then found that t= Da/(vb-va)

I'm not sure if this is the right equation, I'm pretty sure it's not so if anyone can help me that would be great!

sunbunny said:
I have the same question with the cars. I've made car A equal to car B and was able to get this equation:

Da + va(t) = vb(t) and then i subtracted va(t) and then took out the common factor of t like so:

Da= t(vb-va)

then found that t= Da/(vb-va)

I'm not sure if this is the right equation, I'm pretty sure it's not so if anyone can help me that would be great!
What makes you think your answer is incorrect? If your question is the same as the one originally asked then your solution is correct.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion, including its causes and effects, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is motion along a straight line?

Motion along a straight line is when an object moves in a straight path, without changing direction, from one point to another. This is also known as linear motion.

3. How is the motion of an object along a straight line described?

The motion of an object along a straight line is described using the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives information about its motion at a specific point.

5. How are distance and displacement different?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending points of an object's motion. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.