Kinematics of a Thrown Ball: Finding Time to Reach Ground

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Kajan thana
Messages
149
Reaction score
18

Homework Statement


A ball is thrown horizontally wit speed 20m/s, from the top of the building which is 30m high.
Find the time the ball takes to reach the ground?

Homework Equations


S= ut+0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution


S=-30
u=0
A=9.8
T=?

When I pluck the values I will get t^s=-30/4.9 but when we square root we will get complex number, but if I take the displacement as +30 then it will give me a positive value, so I am confused on why the s is not negative.

If I say the displacement where the ball is on top of the building, then the displacement is 0 but if it goes down then it should be negative value.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think if I was working this problem, to make it easiest, I would define the down direction as positive (that way acceleration and displacement will both be positive) and the top of the building as x=0. Or you could define down as negative and acceleration and displacement would be negative. But it's for sure that if you throw a ball off of a building, the time required for the ball to hit the ground will be a positive value.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana
TomHart said:
I think if I was working this problem, to make it easiest, I would define the down direction as positive (that way acceleration and displacement will both be positive) and the top of the building as x=0. Or you could define down as negative and acceleration and displacement would be negative. But it's for sure that if you throw a ball off of a building, the time required for the ball to hit the ground will be a positive value.
Perfect, I thought about this, but I did not know if this will be right.
Thanks.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TomHart