Kinematics particle velocity problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem from the 1983 AP test, where a particle's movement is described by a parabola with a constant x-velocity. The conversation goes on to explain the use of the chain rule to solve for the y-component of the particle's velocity and acceleration, as well as demonstrating that the particle's speed is constant in this case. The conversation also mentions that the solution can be found in the 1983 mech #1 problem.
musicfairy

Homework Statement

This is from the 1983 ap test. I'm using it to study the concepts but so far it only confused me more.

It goes:

A particle moves so that the x-component of its velocity has the constant value vx = C; that is, x = Ct

1. Determine the y-component of the particle's velocity as a function of x.

2. Determine the y-cpmponent of the particle's acceleration.

Part b.

Suppose, instead, that the particle moves along the same parabola with a velocity whose x-component is given by vx = C/(a+x2)1/2

3. Show that the particle's speed is constant in this case.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution, but it doesn't make any sense to me. For the first question they showed dy/dt = (dy/dx)(dx/dt) They said it's the chain rule, but where did that come from? I thought I knew the chain rule until I saw that. Where did t come from?

I can't figure out where the answer to the 2nd question is from either. They put ay = (dvx/dt) = (d/dt)(C2t) = C2
I can't figure out where that came from either.

Number 3 confuses me even more than the previous 2. This is what they did:

v = sqrt(vx2 + vy2)

vy = dx/dt = (dy/dx)(dx/dt) = xvx

v = sqrt((vx2)(1 + x2)) = sqrt( (C2/ 1+x2)(1 + x2)) = C

If you have access to 1983 mech #1 everything looks much better than what I typed.

Can someone please explain all this to me? I'm trying to prepare for the ap test by looking at old problems, but so this one is written in hieroglyphics and I could really use some help.

And please explain how the chain rule makes dy/dx = (dy/dx)(dx/dt)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Comments on the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] may be written as [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dx}{dx}[/tex]. Rearranging we get [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]. Does this make a bit more sense by writing in the middle step?

For acceleration [tex]a = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex] and velocity is [tex]v \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]. We put these together by substituting v to get [tex] a = \frac{d2x}{dt2}[/tex].

Clairefucious said:
Comments on the chain rule:

That last formula was meant to be

[tex] a = \frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex]

Thanks for the chain rule explanation. It makes a lot more sense now.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of motion of objects without taking into consideration the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a particle velocity problem?

A particle velocity problem is a type of kinematics problem that involves finding the velocity of a single point or particle at a specific time during its motion.

3. How do you solve a kinematics particle velocity problem?

To solve a kinematics particle velocity problem, you need to use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, and apply them to the given information about the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What are the common units of measurement for particle velocity?

The most common units of measurement for particle velocity are meters per second (m/s), feet per second (ft/s), and kilometers per hour (km/h).

5. What factors can affect the velocity of a particle?

The velocity of a particle can be affected by various factors, such as the initial velocity, acceleration, and external forces like friction. Other factors include the shape and size of the particle, as well as the medium in which it is moving.