Superluminal moving points 4-velocity

In summary, the conversation discussed the reconciliation of two definitions of 4-velocities and the proof that ##U^2 = -c^2##. The participants also addressed the issue of treating derivatives as quotients of differentials and moved on to proving that the 4-velocity is tangent to the world line. The conversation ended with a question about how to prove this final result.
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
We can define the 4-velocity of a superluminally moving points in analogy to that of normal particles:

$$\tilde{U} = c \frac{d\tilde{R}}{ds}$$.

Prove that

$$\tilde{U} = \left( \frac{u^2}{c^2} \right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \left( c , \tilde{u} \right)$$

and

$$U^2 = - c^2$$

But ##\tilde{U}## is still tangent to the worldline.
Relevant Equations
$$\tilde{R} = \left( ct,x,y,z \right)$$

$$\tilde{U} = \frac{d\tilde{R}}{d \tau}$$

$$d \tau^2 = \frac{ds^2}{c^2} \Rightarrow d \tau = \frac{ds}{c}$$

I think for sub-luminal velocities we use signature ##(+,-,-,-)## and for super luminal velocities we use ##(-,+,+,+)##. I initially thought we could use either signature in either case but I'm only able to get

$$\tilde{U} = \left( \frac{u^2}{c^2} \right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \left( c , \tilde{u} \right)$$

using ##(-,+,+,+)##

To that end

$$\eta = \begin{pmatrix} -1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$
The first thing I want to do is reconcile the two definitions of 4-velocities ##\tilde{U} = \frac{d \tilde{R}}{d \tau} = c \frac{ d \tilde{R}}{ds}##Start off with the usual definition of 4-velocity##\tilde{U} = \frac{d \tilde{R}}{d \tau}##we know that d \tau^2 = \frac{ds^2}{c^2} \Rightarrow d \tau = \frac{ds}{c}So ##\tilde{U} = \frac{d \tilde{R}}{d \tau} = c \frac{ d \tilde{R}}{ds}##Now going back to the more tractable definition of 4-velocity ##\tilde{U} = \frac{d \tilde{R}}{d \tau} = \frac{d}{d \tau} \left( ct,x,y,z \right) = \left( c \frac{dt}{d\tau}, \dot{x} \frac{dt}{d\tau}, \dot{y} \frac{dt}{d\tau}, \dot{z} \frac{dt}{d\tau} \right)##What is ##\frac{dt}{d\tau}## ?##ds^2 = \left( c dt, dx, dy, dz \right) \eta \left( c dt, dx, dy, dz \right) = - c^2 dt^2 + \left( dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 \right)####d \tau^2 = \frac{ds^2}{c^2} = - dt^2 + \frac{1}{c^2} \left(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 \right)####\frac{d\tau^2}{dt^2} = -1 + \frac{1}{c^2} \left( \dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2 + \dot{z}^2 \right) = \left(\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1 \right)####\frac{d \tau}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1} \Rightarrow \frac{dt}{d \tau} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1}}##Therefore the first result we wanted (correct)##\tilde{U} = \left( \frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \left(c, \tilde{u} \right) ##However I am having trouble proving ##U^2 = - c^2##Let ##\Gamma = \left( \frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}####U^2 = \tilde{U} \cdot \tilde{U} = \left( \Gamma c, \Gamma u_1, \Gamma u_2 , \Gamma u_3\right) \eta \left( \Gamma c, \Gamma u_1, \Gamma u_2 , \Gamma u_3\right) = \left( \Gamma c, \Gamma u_1, \Gamma u_2 , \Gamma u_3\right) \cdot \left( -\Gamma c, \Gamma u_1, \Gamma u_2 , \Gamma u_3\right) = -\Gamma^2 c^2 + \Gamma u^2 = \Gamma^2 \left( u^2 - c^2 \right) = \Gamma c^2 \left( \frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1\right) = c^2##we wanted ##-c^2## ( Before moving on to prove that the 4-velocity is tangent to the worldline I'd like to reconcile this result first)

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I have reconciled the first two results that I was supposed to get, but in doing so I believe I employed maneuvers that mathematicians would find egregious. Namely treating derivatives as quotients of differentials. There has to be some justification for this, unfortunately I do not know what that is because I am far from a mathematician.

##\tilde{R} = \left(ct,x,y,z \right)##

Using the signature ##(-,+,+,+)##

##ds^2 = - c^2 dt^2 + \left(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 \right)##

##ds = \sqrt{-c^2 dt^2 + \left(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 \right)} = sqrt{dt^2 \left( - c^2 + \frac{dx^2}{dt^2} + \frac{dy^2}{dt^2} + \frac{dz^2}{dt^2}\right)}##

##ds = \sqrt{u^2 - c^2} dt##

##d\tilde{R} = \left(cdt, dx, dy, dz \right)##

##\tilde{U} = c \frac{d\tilde{R}}{ds} = \frac{c \left(cdt, dx, dy, dz \right)}{\sqrt{u^2 - c^2} dt}= \left(\frac{c^2}{\sqrt{u^2 - c^2}} , \frac{c\dot{x}}{\sqrt{u^2 - c^2}}, \frac{c\dot{y}}{\sqrt{u^2 - c^2}}, \frac{c\dot{z}}{\sqrt{u^2 - c^2}}\right) ##

## \tilde{U} = \left( \frac{c}{\sqrt{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1}}, \frac{\dot{x}}{\sqrt{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1}}, \frac{\dot{y}}{\sqrt{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1}}, \frac{\dot{z}}{\sqrt{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1}}\right)##

Therefore,

##\tilde{U} = \left( \frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \left( c, \tilde{u} \right)##

Now for ##U^2##

##U^2 = \tilde{U} \eta \tilde{U} = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1}}\right)^2 \left( c, u_1, u_2, u_3\right) \cdot \left(c, - u_1, - u_2, - u_3 \right)##

##= \frac{1}{\frac{u^2}{c^2} - 1} \left( c^2 - u^2 \right) = -c^2##

Now that I think I got the answers to the first two parts I can move onto proving U is tangent to the world line. I don’t know how to prove this. I thought it was the definition.

1. What is the concept of superluminal moving points 4-velocity?

Superluminal moving points 4-velocity is a concept in special relativity that describes the velocity of an object moving faster than the speed of light. It is a four-dimensional vector that includes both the spatial and temporal components of an object's velocity.

2. How is superluminal moving points 4-velocity different from regular velocity?

Regular velocity only considers the spatial component of an object's motion, while superluminal moving points 4-velocity takes into account the temporal component as well. This is necessary for objects moving faster than the speed of light, as they experience time dilation and their velocity cannot be accurately described using regular velocity.

3. Can an object's superluminal moving points 4-velocity be measured?

No, superluminal moving points 4-velocity cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to describe the behavior of objects moving faster than the speed of light. However, the effects of superluminal velocities can be observed and measured through experiments and observations.

4. Is superluminal moving points 4-velocity possible in reality?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for an object to have a superluminal moving points 4-velocity. The speed of light is considered to be the maximum attainable velocity in the universe, and any object moving faster would violate the laws of physics.

5. How does superluminal moving points 4-velocity affect the perception of time?

Objects with superluminal moving points 4-velocity experience time dilation, meaning time appears to pass slower for them compared to stationary observers. This is due to the fact that their velocity includes a temporal component, and as they approach the speed of light, time appears to slow down for them. This has been observed and confirmed through experiments with particles moving at near-light speeds.