Kinematics projectile motion problem

In summary: It can't be zero. So the vertical component of the initial velocity is probably 50 m/s or so. So the ball would land about 50 m from the bottom of the building.
tolu
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
A ball is thrown from atop a 490m building with an initial velocity of 200m/s how far from the bottom of the building will it land

Homework Equations

d=vit+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to put this in a equation and it was 490=-4.9 and it was 100 time is always multiplied by two to get x and it was 200 frm there i am confused

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, this problem requires TWO equations to solve. You need to find how long it takes for the ball to hit the ground, then find out how far it managed to get in that time.

tolu said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
A ball is thrown from atop a 490m building with an initial velocity of 200m/s how far from the bottom of the building will it land

Homework Equations

d=vit+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to put this in a equation and it was 490=-4.9 and it was 100 time is always multiplied by two to get x and it was 200 frm there i am confused
Well, that equation does not give 490=-4.9. You have dropped t from the equation for no reason. Also, the vit term has disappeared.

MaxL said:
For one thing, this problem requires TWO equations to solve. You need to find how long it takes for the ball to hit the ground, then find out how far it managed to get in that time.
We know that the ball travels 490 m, the height of the building.

I should have been more specific! The second step would be to find out how far in the horizontal direction the ball manages to get in that time.

Now that I look more carefully, it's actually an ambiguous question. The problem doesn't say the direction in which the ball is thrown--is it straight up? Straight down? Straight away from the building? At a 45 degree angle? The answer definitely depends on the direction the ball is thrown.

If I had to guess, I would say the throw was directly horizontal, since that's a much simpler problem and it seems more in line with where you seem to be in your physics education. Still, you should probably ask your prof. or teacher. Ambiguous questions are not OK!

Oops, I was interpreting the question as strictly vertical, and thought it asked how long it takes the ball to drop. My bad.

It does appear that the 200 m/s initial velocity is in the horizontal direction. With no angle given, it would be either vertical or horizontal. But vertical would mean the ball simply lands at the base of the building; it would have to be horizontal for the problem to be meaningful.

So ... initial velocity is 200 m/s in the horizontal direction. What then is the vertical component of the initial velocity?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion.

3. How do you solve a kinematics projectile motion problem?

To solve a kinematics projectile motion problem, you first need to identify the initial velocity, launch angle, and time of flight of the object. Then, you can use equations of motion to calculate the maximum height, range, and time of flight of the object.

4. What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0y*t - (1/2)gt^2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are the key concepts to understand in solving a kinematics projectile motion problem?

The key concepts to understand in solving a kinematics projectile motion problem are the effects of gravity on the motion of an object, the relationship between time and position, and the use of trigonometric functions to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of velocity and position.