Air resistnce in projectile motion decreasing time of flight

In summary, when air resistance causes a vertical retardation of 10 percent of the value of acceleration due to gravity, the time of flight of a projectile will be affected by changes in the acceleration. The initial upward velocity will result in a time to reach maximum height of u/11, while the time to fall from this height will be longer due to the resistance, resulting in a time of u/9. This analysis may be incorrect as it does not account for the object's position when it regains its initial speed in the downward direction.
Elena14
Poster has been reminded to post all schoolwork type questions in the Homework Help forums and use the Template
If the air resistance causes a vertical retardation of 10 percent of value of acceleration due to gravity, then the time of flight of a projectile will be decreased by nearly? Take g=10m/s^2

My attempt: Only the vertical component of the projectile will be affected by changes in g

I understand that air resistance is like friction; it acts in the direction opposite to the motion. So, when the particle is thrown up, the air resistance together with gravity will act in downward direction. According to the question, value of retardation due to air resistance is 1m/s^2. So, when the ball is thrown up, net acceleration equals 10+1=11m/s^2 in the downward direction.
When the particle is coming down after reaching its maximum height, air resistance should oppose its motion and act in vertically upward direction. Therefore, net acceleration must be 10-1=9m/s^2 in the downward direction.

Time of flight =u/9 + u/11 where u is the velocity of projectile in the vertical direction.

In the absence of air resistance, time of flight=2u/g=u/5

I think this analysis is wrong because it is not leading me to the answer. Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Elena14 said:
According to the question, value of retardation due to air resistance is 1m/s^2. So, when the ball is thrown up, net acceleration equals 10+1=11m/s^2 in the downward direction.
If "u" denotes initial upward velocity then indeed time to max height would then be given by u/11. I agree with that part of your answer.
When the particle is coming down after reaching its maximum height, air resistance should oppose its motion and act in vertically upward direction. Therefore, net acceleration must be 10-1=9m/s^2 in the downward direction.
I agree with this. But then you come up with a result of u/9 for the time to fall. That would be the time needed to regain a velocity of -u, not the time required to fall from a height that you have not calculated.

By the time the object accelerating at 9 meters per second per second downward had regained its initial speed (now in the downward direction), it would be well below its starting position.

What is air resistance in projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as air drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In projectile motion, this force acts in the opposite direction of the object's velocity and can decrease the speed and change the direction of the object.

How does air resistance affect the time of flight in projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the time of flight in projectile motion by reducing the speed of the object. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down and reach the ground sooner.

What factors affect the amount of air resistance in projectile motion?

The amount of air resistance in projectile motion is affected by several factors, including the speed and surface area of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air it is moving through. Objects with larger surface areas and higher speeds will experience greater air resistance.

How can air resistance be minimized in projectile motion?

Air resistance can be minimized in projectile motion by decreasing the object's surface area, increasing its speed, or changing its shape to reduce drag. Additionally, objects with streamlined shapes, such as a sphere or teardrop, experience less air resistance than irregularly shaped objects.

Is air resistance always a disadvantage in projectile motion?

No, air resistance can also be used to an advantage in projectile motion. In some cases, such as in sports like golf or baseball, players use the force of air resistance to control the trajectory and distance of their projectile. However, in many cases, air resistance is considered a disadvantage as it can decrease the overall performance and accuracy of the object's motion.