Kinematics question -- 2 runners racing with different acceleration rates

In summary: If Justin (first runner) runs for t1 seconds, how long does Mark run for?Mark runs for 2 seconds longer, so he would run for t2 seconds.Mark runs for 2 seconds longer, so he would run for t2 seconds.In summary, Justin is racing Mark. Justin accelerates from rest at the starting point at 1.2 m/s^2 [E]. Mark is still adjusting his equipment and 2.0 s later begins to accelerate at 1.5 m/s^2 [E]. Where and when does Mark catch up to Justin?In summary, Justin and Mark are both racing each other. Justin accelerates from rest at the starting point at 1.2 m/s^2
heythere1010

Homework Statement

Justin is racing Mark. Justin accelerates from rest at the starting point at 1.2 m/s^2 [E]. Mark is still adjusting his equipment and 2.0 s later begins to accelerate at 1.5 m/s^2 [E]. Where and when does Mark catch up to Justin?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to create two formulas, set them equal to each other, and use the quadratic formula. I'm not sure how to create the formulas though.

Physics news on Phys.org
heythere1010 said:

Homework Statement

Justin is racing Mark. Justin accelerates from rest at the starting point at 1.2 m/s^2 [E]. Mark is still adjusting his equipment and 2.0 s later begins to accelerate at 1.5 m/s^2 [E]. Where and when does Mark catch up to Justin?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to create two formulas, set them equal to each other, and use the quadratic formula. I'm not sure how to create the formulas though.
What equations of motion under constant acceleration do you know? There are a standard five "SUVAT" equations.

haruspex said:
What equations of motion under constant acceleration do you know? There are a standard five "SUVAT" equations.
v=u+at, d=ut+1/2at^2, d=vt-1/2at^2

heythere1010 said:
v=u+at, d=ut+1/2at^2, d=vt-1/2at^2
Ok. You can see that there are five variables that recur, two of speed, one acceleration, one distance, and one time. Which of those five is of no interest here? Find the equation that does not involve that variable.

haruspex said:
Ok. You can see that there are five variables that recur, two of speed, one acceleration, one distance, and one time. Which of those five is of no interest here? Find the equation that does not involve that variable.
So d=ut+1/2at^2.

heythere1010 said:
So d=ut+1/2at^2.
Right. So write out that equation for each runner, and the relationships between the times and distances in the two equations.

haruspex said:
Right. So write out that equation for each runner, and the relationships between the times and distances in the two equations.
How would I set them up if there are two unknown variables t and d?

heythere1010 said:
How would I set them up if there are two unknown variables t and d?
There'll be two unknowns in each equation, but in each case there's a known relationship between the unknown in one equation and the corresponding unknown in the other equation. So you have enough equations to solve for all unknowns.

haruspex said:
There'll be two unknowns in each equation, but in each case there's a known relationship between the unknown in one equation and the corresponding unknown in the other equation. So you have enough equations to solve for all unknowns.
Which variables are related?

heythere1010 said:
Which variables are related?
The accelerations are known to be different, and the initial velocities are both known. What does that leave?

haruspex said:
The accelerations are known to be different, and the initial velocities are both known. What does that leave?
Distance. But I don't think the equation would be d=0.6t^2 and d=0.75t^2 right?

heythere1010 said:
Distance. But I don't think the equation would be d=0.6t^2 and d=0.75t^2 right?
That's right, because the the times are different. But they are related - how?

haruspex said:
That's right, because the the times are different. But they are related - how?
The distance is the same.

heythere1010 said:
The distance is the same.
Sure, but how are the two times related? You are told.

haruspex said:
Sure, but how are the two times related? You are told.
Yes, one is two seconds longer, t+2.

heythere1010 said:
Yes, one is two seconds longer, t+2.
Right. So what equations do you have now?

haruspex said:
Right. So what equations do you have now?
I don't know where t+2 would go.

heythere1010 said:
I don't know where t+2 would go.
Simplest way to think about it is this: let t1 be the first runner's acceleration time and t2 be the second runner's acceleration time. That allows you to write the two SUVAT equations. Now you just have to relate t1 and t2 by the fact that they differ by 2 - the tricky part is to make sure you get it the right way round. Think: which runner runs for longer?

haruspex said:
Simplest way to think about it is this: let t1 be the first runner's acceleration time and t2 be the second runner's acceleration time. That allows you to write the two SUVAT equations. Now you just have to relate t1 and t2 by the fact that they differ by 2 - the tricky part is to make sure you get it the right way round. Think: which runner runs for longer?
I'm still not sure how I add the 2 seconds into the equation.

heythere1010 said:
I'm still not sure how I add the 2 seconds into the equation.
If Justin (first runner) runs for t1 seconds, how long does Mark run for?

haruspex said:
If Justin (first runner) runs for t1 seconds, how long does Mark run for?
t-2.

heythere1010 said:
t-2.
Right, so plug t-2 in place of t in Mark's equation.

haruspex said:
Right, so plug t-2 in place of t in Mark's equation.
Yes, I did this, but when I make it equal to the other equation, both my answers are positive.

heythere1010 said:
Yes, I did this, but when I make it equal to the other equation, both my answers are positive.
Please post your working.
It is quite possible they are both positive, but is one less than 2 seconds?

haruspex said:
Please post your working.
It is quite possible they are both positive, but is one less than 2 seconds?
0.75(t-2)^2=0.6t^2
Solving using the quadratic formula gave me 18.9 and 1.1.

heythere1010 said:
0.75(t-2)^2=0.6t^2
Solving using the quadratic formula gave me 18.9 and 1.1.
OK, but with Mark running for only t-2 seconds, what do you think t=1.1 means?

Likes heythere1010
haruspex said:
OK, but with Mark running for only t-2 seconds, what do you think t=1.1 means?
Right haha. Really late where I am. Thanks for the help!

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a runner?

To calculate the acceleration of a runner, you need to know their initial velocity, final velocity, and the time it takes for them to travel between those two points. The formula for acceleration is (final velocity - initial velocity)/time.

2. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, while velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion. In simpler terms, acceleration is how quickly an object's velocity is changing, while velocity is how fast and in what direction an object is moving.

3. How does the acceleration of a runner affect their race?

The acceleration of a runner can greatly impact their race. A runner with a higher acceleration will be able to increase their speed faster and ultimately finish the race quicker. However, a runner with a lower acceleration may have a more consistent pace and be able to maintain their speed for a longer period of time.

4. Can two runners with different acceleration rates have the same final velocity?

Yes, it is possible for two runners with different acceleration rates to have the same final velocity. This can happen if the runner with the lower acceleration starts with a higher initial velocity or if the runner with the higher acceleration starts with a lower initial velocity.

5. How does the distance between two runners change over time if they have different acceleration rates?

If two runners have different acceleration rates, the distance between them will change over time. The runner with the higher acceleration will catch up to and eventually pass the runner with the lower acceleration. The distance between them will decrease as the faster runner gains speed and the slower runner falls behind.