1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics Question - Need Help Desperately!

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An unsuspecting bird is coasting along in an easterly direction at 1.34 m/s when a strong wind from the south imparts a constant acceleration of 0.200 m/s^2. If the acceleration from the wind lasts for 3.90s, find the magnitude, r, the direction, theta, of the bird's displacement during this time period. (HINT: assume the bird is originally travelling in the +x direction)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I missed a day of class, and I am not really sure what the equations are that I am supposed to use for this type of question. Can anyone help me get going on this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The problem is much like the usual projectile kind of problem. There's an initial velocity in the x-direction and an acceleration in the y-direction. The motions are independent. Compute both over the given time interval. Treat as vector components for the total displacement.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your help, I am still a little confused as to what you mean by "compute over the given time interval"

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What's the x-direction displacement after the stated time? What's the y-direction displacement after the given time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook