How to Solve a Kinematics Problem?

In summary, a bird is initially traveling in an easterly direction at a constant speed of 0.447 m/s when a strong south wind causes it to accelerate at 0.300 m/s^2 for 2.70 seconds. To find the bird's displacement during this time, we can use vector addition to combine the constant easterly displacement with the accelerating northerly displacement. The magnitude and direction of the displacement can be calculated using basic projectile motion equations.
Joe_K

Homework Statement

A bird is coasting along in an easterly direction at 0.447 meters/sec when a strong wind from the south imparts a constant acceleration of 0.300 m/s2. If the acceleration from the wind lasts for 2.70 s, find the magnitude, r, and direction, θ, of the bird's displacement during this time period. (Hint: assume the bird is originally traveling in the +x direction)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure which equations I am supposed to use in this problem, or where to begin. I am very confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Joe_K said:

Homework Statement

A bird is coasting along in an easterly direction at 0.447 meters/sec when a strong wind from the south imparts a constant acceleration of 0.300 m/s2. If the acceleration from the wind lasts for 2.70 s, find the magnitude, r, and direction, θ, of the bird's displacement during this time period. (Hint: assume the bird is originally traveling in the +x direction)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure which equations I am supposed to use in this problem, or where to begin. I am very confused

This problem is very similar to projectile motion.

To explain.

If we consider a projectile from the point of maximum height.
It is subjected to a constant acceleration, perpendicular to the initial motion.

Don't forget that for the displacement, you only have to know the initial and final position, not the length of the path followed to get there.

The bird will have covered a Easterly displacement - constant speed for 3 seconds.
The bird will also have covered a Northerly diplacement - accelerating at a constant rate in that direction.
Add those two components vectorially and you have the answer you seek.

Related to How to Solve a Kinematics Problem?

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects, without considering the causes of motion or the forces involved.

2. What is a Kinematics Problem?

A Kinematics problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of objects, usually in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What are the three basic equations of Kinematics?

The three basic equations of Kinematics are:

1. Displacement (d) = Initial Velocity (v0) x Time (t) + 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)^2
  2. Final Velocity (v) = Initial Velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) x Time (t)
  3. Displacement (d) = (Initial Velocity (v0) + Final Velocity (v)) / 2 x Time (t)

4. How do you solve a Kinematics Problem?

To solve a Kinematics problem, you must first identify what is known and what is unknown. Then, you can use the three basic equations of Kinematics to solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some common types of Kinematics Problems?

Some common types of Kinematics problems include projectile motion, motion with constant acceleration, and motion with changing acceleration.