1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Kinematics Bonus Question

1. Feb 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane went 300m/s 35° south of west then 230m/s 20° east of north. What is the magnitude and direction of the 65kg pilot during the 12s turn?

2. Relevant equations
    Kinematics. Vf = Vi + at, d = ViT + 0.5at^2, Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

3. The attempt at a solution
    This was a question on my Physics C exam in January. Sorry, the question wording is terrible because it's from my memory as well, and I don't have any work to show. That's why all I'm asking is for a very general outline of HOW to solve this because I am at a loss. During the exam I tried to convert each vector into x and y components but I wasn't sure what to do then. I would probably use kinematics equations to solve for...whatever magnitude is, then use trig to find the direction. I'm sorry the question couldn't be more specific. :( Thanks for any hint!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The pilot does not have a direction. The question was likely asking for the magnitude and direction of the mean acceleration or force during the turn. How would you find that out?

4. Feb 24, 2016 #3
    I would use change in velocity / change in time in both the x and y directions to find acceleration in x and y. F = ma, so use the acceleration and mass of the pilot to find the x and y forces and then use Pythagoras to find total force? :D

5. Feb 24, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can do it like that, but in this particular case I think it would be easier to just draw a velocity triangle and use the cosine and sine theorems to find out the magnitude and direction of the velocity change. Both methodsshould of course give the same answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted