Kinenatics (NOT cst acceleration)

In summary, the given problem involves a driver traveling at 15.5 m/s and encountering a deer 51.2 m ahead. The driver has a reaction time of 0.810 s and a maximum deceleration of 8.11 m/s^2. The question asks for the distance between the driver and the deer when the car comes to a stop. It is assumed that the acceleration is constant and that "slamming" the brakes means applying maximum acceleration.
emilinus
[SOLVED] kinenatics (NOT cst acceleration)

I have no idea how to solve a problem that doesn't have constant acceleration. I'm guessing you have to set up an equation using the given values and solve for the variable..but I don't know.

This is the question anyhow:

You're driving down the highway late one night at 15.5 m/s when a deer steps onto the road 51.2 m in front of you. Your reaction time before stepping on the brakes is 0.810 s, and the maximum deceleration of your car is 8.11 m/s^2. How much distance is between you and the deer when you come to a stop?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume the acceleration is constant in this problem. I think that if you slam the breaks from the beginning, you should be applying the maximum acceleration for that interval. What else could "slamming" the breaks mean besides hitting them as hard as you can?

ya got it nevermind

Cool!:smile:

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects, without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the three main components of kinematics?

The three main components of kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. How is position represented in kinematics?

In kinematics, position is typically represented by a vector, which includes both magnitude (distance from a reference point) and direction.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in kinematics?

Speed is a measurement of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measurement of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. If an object experiences acceleration, its velocity will change, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.