1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinenatics (NOT cst acceleration)

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] kinenatics (NOT cst acceleration)

I have no idea how to solve a problem that doesn't have constant acceleration. I'm guessing you have to set up an equation using the given values and solve for the variable..but I don't know.

This is the question anyhow:

You're driving down the highway late one night at 15.5 m/s when a deer steps onto the road 51.2 m in front of you. Your reaction time before stepping on the brakes is 0.810 s, and the maximum deceleration of your car is 8.11 m/s^2. How much distance is between you and the deer when you come to a stop?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would assume the acceleration is constant in this problem. I think that if you slam the breaks from the beginning, you should be applying the maximum acceleration for that interval. What else could "slamming" the breaks mean besides hitting them as hard as you can?

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    ya got it nevermind

5. Jan 13, 2008 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cool!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?