1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic and poetenial energy of a roller coaster loop!

1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    O.k, i'll do my best to explain the problem as I but a picture would probabley be helpful. Basically there's an object of mass m travlleing down an incline. Near the end of the incline it does a loop. The question asks to calculate the normal force(Fn) as a function of ө for 0 ≤ ө ≤ 180 (assume cart is from height h) hint: your answer will depend on m, g, h, r and ө. Check that equation has proper behavior ө= 0 degrees, 90 degrees and 180 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

U= mgh

k=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i understand what's going on it's just putting it into an equation that I find difficult. I am assuming that ө equals zero at the appex before the ascent into the loop. Also, kinetic energy increase as ө increase i think. I'm just no sure if I should do three seperate equations or one if just one then how can it represent all three angles? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2
    After looking at this problem some more I see that the equation kind of looks like the sine function am I on to something?

4. Dec 19, 2007 #3
    Please could someone help me?

5. Dec 19, 2007 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When the body reaches the appex of the loop ita velocity will be v = sqrt(2gh). What are the forces acting on the body at this point and what are there direction? As the body moves along the loop, what are the directions of these forces?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?