Kinetic and Potential Energy of Baseball Graphing Question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 44K views
1man
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
A baseball is thrown directly upward at time t=0 and is caught again at time t=5\;\rm s. Assume that air resistance is so small that it can be ignored and that the zero point of gravitational potential energy is located at the position at which the ball leaves the thrower's hand.

I need to sketch a graph of the baseball's gravitational potential energy. I am stuck at this part. I already did the graph for kinetic energy but I do not know what to do for this
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If, as you say, you already have the kinetic energy graph, then the potential energy graph is the exact inverse of it. This is because the total energy (k.e. + p.e) is constant. As the one goes up the other goes down such that the sum stays the same.