Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy and conservation of energy go together?

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1
    How do Newton's third law, mass, acceleration, impulse, inelastic and elastic collisions, momentum, conservation of momentum, kinetic energy and conservation of energy go together?
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2
    can you specify a bit? Becuase else i can write it all down for you but that would take quite a few hours.
  4. Feb 11, 2006 #3
    What do you mean by specify?
  5. Feb 11, 2006 #4
    I could tell you about:
    F = ma
    p = mv[/tex]

or any other forumla or relationship. If i were to go over everything (as the thing you asked for covers alot) it wouls take a huge amount of time. Can you make your question a bit...smaller so that it does cover so much?
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  6. Feb 11, 2006 #5
    I'll try...

What I am looking for, is how these things are used in physical interactions.
  7. Feb 11, 2006 #6
    Ok i see. So you are basically looking for definition of those?
  8. Feb 11, 2006 #7
    I think the definitions would be good.
  9. Feb 11, 2006 #8
    ok, i'll give it a shoot

(posting this reply to keep people from replying b4 i'm done since it is alot to write)
  10. Feb 11, 2006 #9
    Newton's third law of motion:

As the name sounds it is the third law of motion made up by Issac Newton. Its definition is:

"Every action has an equal and opposite re-action"

So if you shot with a pistol, the gun will apply a force on the bullet making it fly away. You will feel a recoil from the weapon. If you try to pull a spring the spring will try to pull back. If you hit a ball, the ball also affects your hand with the same force but in exactly the opposite direction. This also aplies for impulse which i'll come to later.

Mass is a measurement that tells you how much force you feel from a body divided by acceleration of gravity.

Now i'm to tired to define the rest in this post. Will try more tomorrow.

you can also try google:

type in

define: impulse

and you will have clear defination of what it is. then try the rest aswell
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?