Kinetic energy and friction force?

In summary, a car with a weight of 15,000 N moving at 30 m/s has a KE of 690,000 J. To find the friction force required to stop the car over a distance of 60m, we can use the equation F=ma. However, using energy conservation, we can also equate the starting KE to the energy lost to friction over the given distance. This can be expressed as W = -Fd, where θ is 180° since the force is acting against the direction of travel. By setting these two equations equal to each other, we can find the deceleration of the car and then use F=ma to calculate the magnitude of the friction force.
Jessica Sweet
Please help! I have a test tomorrow.

1. Homework Statement

A car with a weight of 15,000 N moves horizontally at 30 m/s.
a) What is the car's KE?
b) What will be the magnitude friction force to stop the car over a 60m distance?

Homework Equations

F=ma
KE=1/2*m*v2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) mass of car = 1531 kg
KE = 1/2(1531)(30)2 = 690,000 J

b) This is where I hit trouble.
I found acceleration by (0-30)/2 = -15 m/s2
Then I used F=ma, so Ff = (1531)(-15) = -22,965 N
Not the correct answer...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What equation will you use that relates velocity, acceleration, and distance, to allow you to correctly calculate the acceleration (i.e., deceleration)?

Oh okay! I totally forgot about that equation.
v2 = vi2 + 2a(delta x)
That'll give me acceleration, and then I use F=ma, right?

Sounds right. :cool:

I'm just curious, is there a way to find that without needing that equation??

Jessica Sweet said:
I'm just curious, is there a way to find that without needing that equation??
You could use energy conservation. The car starts out with a certain KE (which you calculated), and that energy will be lost to friction acting over the given stopping distance.

Could someone demonstrate this? Because I'm a little lost.

Jessica Sweet said:
Could someone demonstrate this? Because I'm a little lost.
What is the work done by a force F acting over a distance d?

I'm thinking of W = Fdcosθ

Jessica Sweet said:
I'm thinking of W = Fdcosθ
Sure. Here θ is 180° since the force is acting against the direction of travel. So you can write

W = -Fd

So the friction force will be "stealing" energy from the car as it moves.

Now, the car starts out with a store of KE. This will be lost to friction according to the work done by that friction force. Write an equation that equates the starting KE to the energy lost to friction over distance d.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as half of the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to friction force?

Friction force is a force that opposes motion, and therefore, it acts in the opposite direction of the object's velocity. As a result, friction force can decrease an object's kinetic energy by slowing it down.

3. How does the amount of friction affect an object's kinetic energy?

The amount of friction directly affects an object's kinetic energy. The higher the friction force, the more energy is lost due to the opposing force, and the slower the object's motion becomes.

4. Can an object have kinetic energy without friction?

Yes, an object can have kinetic energy without friction. In this case, the object is moving in a vacuum or a medium with extremely low friction, allowing it to maintain its kinetic energy without losing it due to opposing forces.

5. How can kinetic energy and friction force be calculated?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. Friction force can be calculated using the formula Ff = μ * N, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force acting on the object.