1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy and Work energy theorem

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A toboggan is initially moving at a constant velocity along a snowy horizontal
    surface where friction is negligible. When a pulling force is applied parallel to
    the ground over a certain distance, the kinetic energy increases by 47%. By what
    percentage would the kinetic energy have changed if the pulling force had been
    at an angle of 38° above the horizontal?

2. Relevant equations

w= Fd cos theta
    w= 1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    so Ek = 1.47 Ek intial Ek = kinetic energy

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2
    37%?

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    yeah can you explain what you did?

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4
    First find an expression for the change in KE when the force is applied along the horizontal.

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5
    you mean a expression for both cases?
    we know that in the first case the force and displacement act in the same direction meaning no work is done.
    and the second case i dont get, how can you get W = (Fcos38)d where F and d is not even given

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6
    Work is done in BOTH cases. This work results in an increase in KE.
    No more numerical data is necessary. Just assume initial velocity is u in both cases and final is V for the first case and v for the second (symbols chosen so that big V is for the greater value and small v for the smaller value - I hate to call them v1 and v2!) since the final will be different for the two cases.

8. Oct 28, 2011 #7
    how am i suppose to find the velocity if they give so little information?

9. Oct 28, 2011 #8
    Assume that applied force is F in first case and Fcos38 in the second case.
    Initial velocity is u in both.
    Distance travelled is assumed to be constant e.g. x in both.

10. Oct 28, 2011 #9
    What is V in terms of u, x and acceleration?

11. Oct 28, 2011 #10
    i did this instead , this should make sense right? cause the change in W = the final kinetic energy - the intial kinetic energy, and W = Fd in first case and second is W=fdcos38

Attached Files:

12. Oct 28, 2011 #11
    I think it is OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook