Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinetic energy dissipation

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hockey puck B rests on a smooth surface of ice and is struck by a second puck A , which was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and which is deflected 30.0 degrees from its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0 degree angle to the original direction of A . The pucks have the same mass.

what fraction of the orignal kinetic energy of puck A dissipates during the collision.

2. Relevant equations
    (Delta K) /K
    KE=0.5 mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i was able to solve for the velocity of both block a and b. But now i can't seem to figure out the original kinetic energy. I do not know where to go with the masses being the same.
    Va=29.3 m/s
    Vb=20.7

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can express the kinetic energy in terms of the unknown mass "m", and go from there.

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    (Kei-Kef)/ KEi = ((1-(m1/m1+m)) KEi)/KEI = M2/m1+M2 1/ (1+1) KE should be 0.5 or 50 percent. But this is the wrong answer And I'm Totally lost. thanks for any help that i may receive.

5. Nov 6, 2008 #4
    I figured it out. 1-(KEf-KEi)/KEI is basically the equation to use.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook