1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic energy dissipation

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hockey puck B rests on a smooth surface of ice and is struck by a second puck A , which was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and which is deflected 30.0 degrees from its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0 degree angle to the original direction of A . The pucks have the same mass.

what fraction of the orignal kinetic energy of puck A dissipates during the collision.

2. Relevant equations
    (Delta K) /K
    KE=0.5 mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    i was able to solve for the velocity of both block a and b. But now i can't seem to figure out the original kinetic energy. I do not know where to go with the masses being the same.
    Va=29.3 m/s
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can express the kinetic energy in terms of the unknown mass "m", and go from there.
  4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    (Kei-Kef)/ KEi = ((1-(m1/m1+m)) KEi)/KEI = M2/m1+M2 1/ (1+1) KE should be 0.5 or 50 percent. But this is the wrong answer And I'm Totally lost. thanks for any help that i may receive.
  5. Nov 6, 2008 #4
    I figured it out. 1-(KEf-KEi)/KEI is basically the equation to use.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?