Kinetic Energy (in eV) of He with given change in potential

In summary, the -particle in this scenario starts at point A with a potential of +230 V and ends at point B with a potential of -140 V. The change in potential is 370 V. The -particle, which is a helium nucleus containing two protons and two neutrons, starts from rest at A and accelerates towards B. The kinetic energy of the -particle when it reaches B can be calculated using the equation q*ΔV, where q is the charge of the -particle and ΔV is the change in potential. In this case, the charge is equal to 2 electrons and the change in potential is 370 V, resulting in a kinetic energy of 2*370 eV.
xcmntgeek

Homework Statement

Point A is at a potential of +230 V, and point B is at a potential of -140 V. An -particle is a helium nucleus that contains two protons and two neutrons; the neutrons are electrically neutral. An -particle starts from rest at A and accelerates toward B. When the -particle arrives at B, what kinetic energy (in electron volts) does it have?

hence:
Change in potential=370 Volts

Homework Equations

Change in potential= -work/q

and

1e- moving through one volt of potential= 1.6e-19 Joules

The Attempt at a Solution

He= 2 protons = 2 (1.6e-19 coulombs)= 3.2e-19c

(370 Volts)(3.2e-19c)= 1.184e-16

Of course, this isn't right or I wouldn't be posting this. My ideas for where I've gone astray:

-the charge (in coulombs) of He is different than 3.2e-19
-The answer asks for the kinetic energy, but I thought eV was a measure of Potential Electric Energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If they want the answer in eV ...

... isn't it simply 2*370 eV ?

Thanks for the welcome.

Isn't 370 volts just the difference in potential from A-->B ?

xcmntgeek said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Isn't 370 volts just the difference in potential from A-->B ?

Yes.

And if W = KE = q*ΔV

So ... q = 2 electrons worth and ΔV = 370 V ...

I had tried that originally, but it didn't work. Here's how:
2(1.6e-19)*(370)=1.184e-16Thanks for the help

xcmntgeek said:
I had tried that originally, but it didn't work. Here's how:
2(1.6e-19)*(370)=1.184e-16

Thanks for the help

That answer is in Joules, not eV.

Ohhhh, got it. Much more simple than I made it out to be.

Thanks again

1. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy (in eV) of He with a given change in potential?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy (in eV) of He with a given change in potential is: KE = qΔV, where KE is the kinetic energy, q is the charge of the particle, and ΔV is the change in potential.

2. How is kinetic energy (in eV) related to the change in potential?

Kinetic energy (in eV) is directly proportional to the change in potential. This means that as the change in potential increases, the kinetic energy also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can the kinetic energy (in eV) of He be negative?

No, the kinetic energy (in eV) of He cannot be negative. Kinetic energy is always a positive quantity, and a negative value would indicate a physically impossible situation.

4. How is the kinetic energy (in eV) of He affected by the charge and mass of the particle?

The kinetic energy (in eV) of He is directly proportional to the charge of the particle. This means that as the charge increases, the kinetic energy also increases, and vice versa. The mass of the particle does not directly affect the kinetic energy, but it does indirectly affect it by determining the velocity of the particle through the equation KE = 1/2mv^2.

5. Can the kinetic energy (in eV) of He be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the kinetic energy (in eV) of He can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or heat energy. This can occur through collisions with other particles or by doing work on another object.