Kinetic Energy (in eV) of He with given change in potential

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
xcmntgeek
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Point A is at a potential of +230 V, and point B is at a potential of -140 V. An -particle is a helium nucleus that contains two protons and two neutrons; the neutrons are electrically neutral. An -particle starts from rest at A and accelerates toward B. When the -particle arrives at B, what kinetic energy (in electron volts) does it have?

hence:
Change in potential=370 Volts


Homework Equations


Change in potential= -work/q

and

1e- moving through one volt of potential= 1.6e-19 Joules



The Attempt at a Solution



He= 2 protons = 2 (1.6e-19 coulombs)= 3.2e-19c

(370 Volts)(3.2e-19c)= 1.184e-16

Of course, this isn't right or I wouldn't be posting this. My ideas for where I've gone astray:

-the charge (in coulombs) of He is different than 3.2e-19
-The answer asks for the kinetic energy, but I thought eV was a measure of Potential Electric Energy?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If they want the answer in eV ...

... isn't it simply 2*370 eV ?
 
Thanks for the welcome.

Isn't 370 volts just the difference in potential from A-->B ?
 
xcmntgeek said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Isn't 370 volts just the difference in potential from A-->B ?

Yes.

And if W = KE = q*ΔV

So ... q = 2 electrons worth and ΔV = 370 V ...
 
I had tried that originally, but it didn't work. Here's how:
2(1.6e-19)*(370)=1.184e-16Thanks for the help
 
xcmntgeek said:
I had tried that originally, but it didn't work. Here's how:
2(1.6e-19)*(370)=1.184e-16

Thanks for the help

That answer is in Joules, not eV.
 
Ohhhh, got it. Much more simple than I made it out to be.

Thanks again