1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work function and kinetic energy

1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The work function for potassium is 2 eV. Consider light with wave length 3.6*10^-7 m hitting the potassium surface.
    a) what is the stopping potential?
    b) what is the kinetic energy and velocity of the fastest electrons emitted?

2. Relevant equations
    KE_max = hf - Φ
    q_e V_s = E_photon - q_e Φ
    where q_e is the charge of electron, V_s is stopping potential, and Φ is work function

3. The attempt at a solution
    for finding the stopping potential, V_s = (hf/q_e) - Φ

f = c/λ , from the given wavelength, I found f = 8.33*10^14
    then hf = 6.6*10^-34 * f = 5.49*10^-19
    then, V_s = (5.49*10^-19 / 1.6*10^-19) - 2 eV = 1.43 volts
    Correct?

And as for finding the kinetic energy, I need to use the first equation, but apparently the units of Φ should not be in eV because that wouldn't make sense, how should I calculate KE_max then?
    Edit: ok I converted the hf into eV, then I got the answer 1.43 eV, which is the same as the answer for a), did I do something wrong? or is it actually suppose to be the same?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite.

Write out the units. What is the dimension of hf? In what units did you get it?
    What is the dimension of the Work Function? Is it energy or potential?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted