Work function and kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the stopping potential and kinetic energy of the fastest electrons emitted when light with a wavelength of 3.6*10^-7 m hits a potassium surface. The equations used are KE_max = hf - Φ and q_e V_s = E_photon - q_e Φ, where q_e is the charge of an electron, V_s is the stopping potential, and Φ is the work function. The solution involves finding the frequency f using f = c/λ, converting hf into eV, and then using the equations to calculate the stopping potential and kinetic energy. However, the calculation for the stopping potential is incorrect and the work function should not be in eV.
Abdul.119

Homework Statement

The work function for potassium is 2 eV. Consider light with wave length 3.6*10^-7 m hitting the potassium surface.
a) what is the stopping potential?
b) what is the kinetic energy and velocity of the fastest electrons emitted?

Homework Equations

KE_max = hf - Φ
q_e V_s = E_photon - q_e Φ
where q_e is the charge of electron, V_s is stopping potential, and Φ is work function

The Attempt at a Solution

for finding the stopping potential, V_s = (hf/q_e) - Φ

f = c/λ , from the given wavelength, I found f = 8.33*10^14
then hf = 6.6*10^-34 * f = 5.49*10^-19
then, V_s = (5.49*10^-19 / 1.6*10^-19) - 2 eV = 1.43 volts
Correct?

And as for finding the kinetic energy, I need to use the first equation, but apparently the units of Φ should not be in eV because that wouldn't make sense, how should I calculate KE_max then?
Edit: ok I converted the hf into eV, then I got the answer 1.43 eV, which is the same as the answer for a), did I do something wrong? or is it actually suppose to be the same?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul.119 said:

Homework Statement

The work function for potassium is 2 eV. Consider light with wave length 3.6*10^-7 m hitting the potassium surface.
a) what is the stopping potential?
b) what is the kinetic energy and velocity of the fastest electrons emitted?

Homework Equations

KE_max = hf - Φ
q_e V_s = E_photon - q_e Φ
where q_e is the charge of electron, V_s is stopping potential, and Φ is work function

The Attempt at a Solution

for finding the stopping potential, V_s = (hf/q_e) - Φ

f = c/λ , from the given wavelength, I found f = 8.33*10^14
then hf = 6.6*10^-34 * f = 5.49*10^-19
then, V_s = (5.49*10^-19 / 1.6*10^-19) - 2 eV = 1.43 volts
Correct?

Not quite.

Write out the units. What is the dimension of hf? In what units did you get it?
What is the dimension of the Work Function? Is it energy or potential?

What is the work function?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. It is typically measured in electron volts (eV) and is influenced by the type of material and its surface properties.

How is work function related to kinetic energy?

The work function is directly related to the maximum kinetic energy of an electron that can be emitted from a material. The difference between the energy of the incident photon and the work function is equal to the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electron.

What factors can affect the work function of a material?

The work function of a material can be affected by factors such as the type of material, its surface properties, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects on its surface.

What is the significance of work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function plays a crucial role in the photoelectric effect as it determines whether or not electrons can be emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation. If the energy of the incident photons is greater than the work function, electrons will be emitted from the material.

How is the work function experimentally determined?

The work function can be experimentally determined by measuring the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons and using the equation: work function = energy of incident photon - maximum kinetic energy of emitted electron. This can be done using techniques such as photoelectric spectroscopy or the Kelvin probe method.