Kinetic energy of a composite body

In summary, the answer to the question is that the total horizontal velocity in lab frame for the upper/lower mass is ##V_{rotation} \, sin \phi + V_{translation\,in\, x \,direction}##.
Rikudo
Homework Statement
What is the total kinetic energy of this body that is made of 3 identic mass m and massless rods?
Relevant Equations
kinetic energy
1660875448437.png

This is my answer:
$$KE_{total}=KE_{centermass}+KE_{uppermass}+KE_{bottommass}$$
$$KE_{total} = \frac 1 2 (mv^2 + 2m(\vec {v} + \vec {wL})^2) $$

But, the solution manual says that the answer is this:
$$KE_{total} = \frac 1 2 (mv^2 + 2m(v^2+w^2L^2)) $$

I think he regard this composite body as an ordinary rigid body (e.g a pancake),However, the angular velocity of the upper and lower mass has different direction. So, I doubt that this is correct.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer, but not your argument concerning the different directions of the upper and lower masses.
Consider ##\phi=\pi/2##. At this point, those two masses are not moving, so have no KE. ##\vec v+\vec\omega L=0##.

Btw, you forgot the power of 2 on omega in your typing of the book answer.

Likes Rikudo
haruspex said:
Btw, you forgot the power of 2 on omega in your typing of the book answer.
Ah..yes. thank you for reminding me.

The exact setup is unclear to me. Is the entire composition moving at ##\vec v## and on top of that the masses to the left have an additional angular velocity ##\omega##?

Orodruin said:
The exact setup is unclear to me. Is the entire composition moving at ##\vec v## and on top of that the masses to the left have an additional angular velocity ##\omega##?
yes

Ok, so here is the thing. In general of course the total kinetic energy of a collection of ##n## masses ##m_i## with respective velocities ##\vec v_i## is given by
$$
K = \sum_{i = 1}^N \frac{m_i}{2} \vec v_i^2.
$$
It can be shown that this is equal to
$$
K = \sum_{i = 1}^N \frac{m_i}{2} (v^2 + u_i^2)
$$
where ##\vec u_i## is the velocity of mass ##i## relative to the center of mass and ##v## is the speed of the center of mass. However, this split is only possible relative to the center of mass, not generally relative to any other point. The given solution seems to misapply this formula as ##\vec v## is not the center of mass velocity, but the velocity of a particular mass.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark, PeroK and malawi_glenn
Just to solidify the above, the definition of the center of mass velocity is
$$
\vec v = \frac{1}{M} \sum_{i=1}^N m_i \vec v_i
$$
where ##M## is the sum over the masses. By definition ##\vec v_i = \vec v + \vec u_i## and so
$$
K = \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{m_i}{2} (\vec v + \vec u_i)^2 =
\sum_{i=1}^N \frac{m_i}{2} (v^2 + 2\vec v\cdot \vec u_i + u_i^2) =
\frac{M}{2} v^2 + \vec v\cdot \sum_{i=1}^N m_i \vec u_i + \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{m_i}{2} u_i^2.
$$
However,
$$
\sum_{i=1}^N m_i \vec u_i = \sum_{i = 1}^N m_i(\vec v_i - \vec v) = \sum_{i=1}^N m_i \vec v_i - M\vec v = 0
$$
and so
$$
K = \frac{M}{2} v^2 + \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{m_i}{2} u_i^2 = \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{m_i}{2}(v^2 + u_i^2).
$$
The step that fails if we replace the center of mass velocity ##\vec v## by any other velocity ##\vec w## is that the sum
$$
\sum_{i=1}^N m_i \vec v_i \neq M\vec w
$$
and therefore the cross term does not disappear.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark, PeroK and malawi_glenn
Orodruin said:
the entire composition moving at ##\vec v## and on top of that the masses to the left have an additional angular velocity ##\omega##?

If initially the system is in a straight line (##\phi = 90 ^\circ##) and at rest, then we struck the mass at the center so that it has velocity ##v_o## to the right, after some time (when the velocity of the mass at the center is ##v##), will the upper and lower masses' translation velocities in horizontal direction also be ##v##?

Rikudo said:
If initially the system is in a straight line (##\phi = 90 ^\circ##) and at rest, then we struck the mass at the center so that it has velocity ##v_o## to the right, after some time (when the velocity of the mass at the center is ##v##), will the upper and lower masses' translation velocities in horizontal direction also be ##v##?
That depends on the properties of the body and the constraints that are put on the angle ##\phi##. If the system is fully rigid, then all three masses will get the same velocity immediately. If the side masses are free to rotate (allowing any ##\phi##) then they will keep rotating around the middle mass.

They are free to rotate.

The total horizontal velocity in lab frame for the upper/lower mass is ##V_{rotation} \, sin \phi + V_{translation\,in\, x \,direction}##.

But, is the translation velocity always the same with the middle mass's?

Rikudo said:
They are free to rotate.

The total horizontal velocity in lab frame for the upper/lower mass is ##V_{rotation} \, sin \phi + V_{translation\,in\, x \,direction}##.

But, is the translation velocity always the same with the middle mass's?
No.

Likes Rikudo
Orodruin said:
No.
There may be a misunderstanding here. @Rikudo wrote
Rikudo said:
but did not define ##V_{translation\,in\, x \,direction}. Based on that equation, he is taking it as the velocity of the middle mass.

1. What is kinetic energy of a composite body?

Kinetic energy of a composite body is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is a combination of the individual kinetic energies of each component of the composite body.

2. How is kinetic energy of a composite body calculated?

The kinetic energy of a composite body can be calculated by summing the individual kinetic energies of each component of the body. This can be done by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a composite body?

The kinetic energy of a composite body is affected by the mass and velocity of each component, as well as the distribution of mass within the body. The shape and size of the body can also have an impact on its kinetic energy.

4. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and work?

Kinetic energy and work are closely related, as work is defined as the transfer of energy to an object, resulting in a change in its kinetic energy. In other words, work is equal to the change in kinetic energy of an object.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to kinetic energy of a composite body?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. This applies to the kinetic energy of a composite body, as the total kinetic energy of the body will remain constant unless an external force is applied.