1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy of Charged Particle

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Kinetic Energy of Charged Particle

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particles A (of mass m and charge Q) and B (of m and charge 5Q) are released from rest with the distance between them equal to 0.9976 m. If Q=33e-6 C, what is the kinetic energy of particle B at the instant when the particles are 2.9976 m apart?

2. Relevant equations
    U=kq1q2/r
    K=(mv^2)/2
    ΔU+ΔK=0
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for the potential energy at both distances using U=kq1q2/r to find Ui=49.0683 J and Uf=16.3299 J. Then I used conservation of energy to find K so K=Ui-Uf and got K to be 32.7384 J. But I'm not sure how to get just the kinetic energy of particle B. I tried to sum the forces and use Newton's third law to find acceleration to see if that would help but I don't know how to find it without knowing the mass. I'm not sure if maybe I have to do a ratio to find the energy? I don't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2
    nevermind, i figured out its just half of the system kinetic energy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?