Kinetic Energy of Charged Particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 20K views
soccerj17
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Kinetic Energy of Charged Particle

Homework Statement


Particles A (of mass m and charge Q) and B (of m and charge 5Q) are released from rest with the distance between them equal to 0.9976 m. If Q=33e-6 C, what is the kinetic energy of particle B at the instant when the particles are 2.9976 m apart?


Homework Equations


U=kq1q2/r
K=(mv^2)/2
ΔU+ΔK=0
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution


I solved for the potential energy at both distances using U=kq1q2/r to find Ui=49.0683 J and Uf=16.3299 J. Then I used conservation of energy to find K so K=Ui-Uf and got K to be 32.7384 J. But I'm not sure how to get just the kinetic energy of particle B. I tried to sum the forces and use Newton's third law to find acceleration to see if that would help but I don't know how to find it without knowing the mass. I'm not sure if maybe I have to do a ratio to find the energy? I don't know what to do.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, i figured out its just half of the system kinetic energy