Are the answer choices wrong? (electric potential energy)

In summary: Yes, it threw me off at first. In the problem statement, it says, "answer in terms of k = 1/(4πε0)." It could have been clearer as what was meant here.
lorx99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-7_17-16-10.png

Homework Equations

U=kq1q2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

W = changeU = Uf-Uo

Uf = k(7*(-5) + 7(-4) + (-5)*(-4))/0.1 = -4.3*10^-4
Ui= k((7*(-4))/0.1= -2.8*10^-4

Uf-Ui = -1.5*10^-4k J

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-7_17-16-10.png
    upload_2018-10-7_17-16-10.png
    24 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
lorx99 said:
Uf = k(7*(-5) + 7(-4) + (-5)*(-4))/0.1 = -4.3*10^-4
Shouldn't k appear in the expression on the right side? How did you get the power of -4? Did you take into account that the charges are in micro Coulombs? Otherwise, your approach looks right.

The provided answer choices seem out of line for the given problem statement, but your calculated answer is also rather suspect. How did you determine the order of magnitude of the results? What value did you use for ##k##?

Note that in the choices of answers, the symbol k represents Coulomb's constant, not kilo.

Likes lorx99 and gneill
gneill said:
The provided answer choices seem out of line for the given problem statement, but your calculated answer is also rather suspect. How did you determine the order of magnitude of the results? What value did you use for ##k##?
I aciddently left out that i multiplied by 10^-6 for the product of q's.

But the answer is right.

lorx99 said:
I aciddently left out that i multiplied by 10^-6 for the product of q's.

But the answer is right.
I get a different result on the order of a few Joules. Maybe check your arithmetic?

Likes lorx99
gneill said:
I get a different result on the order of a few Joules. Maybe check your arithmetic?
Thanks, i entered the E-6 wrong! answer is -150e-12

Okay, let's take a look at the initial electric potential energy of the original configuration comprised of the two first charges:

##q_1 = 7~μC##
##q_2 = -4 μC##
##D = 0.1~m##

##U_o = k\frac{q_1 q_2}{D}##
##U_o = 8.988 \times 10^9~\frac{V~m}{C}\left( \frac{7\times10^-6~C \cdot (-4\times 10^-6~C)}{0.1~m} \right)##
I find that:

##U_o = -2.52~J## or, ##U_o = -2.52~\times 10^{-3}~kJ##

So we can expect answers to be on the order of ##10^1## Joules

gneill said:
##U_o = 8.988 \times 10^9~\frac{V~m}{C}\left( \frac{7\times10^-6~C \cdot (-4\times 10^-6~C)}{0.1~m} \right)##
Hi, gneill. Apparently they don't want you to substitue a value for ##k##. Thus,

##U_o = k \left( \frac{7\times10^-6~C \cdot (-4\times 10^-6~C)}{0.1~m} \right) = k~ \left(-280 \times10^{-12} \, C^2/m \right) = -280 \times10^{-12}~ k~ J##.

Here, the ##k## is Coulomb's constant (even in the final expression). The units for ##k## have been absorbed into ##J## in the last step. This is an awkward way to express the answer, but I guess they didn't want the student to bother with looking up the value of ##k##.

TSny said:
Hi, gneill. Apparently they don't want you to substitue a value for ##k##. Thus,

##U_o = k \left( \frac{7\times10^-6~C \cdot (-4\times 10^-6~C)}{0.1~m} \right) = k~ \left(-280 \times10^{-12} \, C^2/m \right) = -280 \times10^{-12}~ k~ J##.

Here, the ##k## is Coulomb's constant (even in the final expression). The units for ##k## have been absorbed into ##J## in the last step. This is an awkward way to express the answer, but I guess they didn't want the student to bother with looking up the value of ##k##.
Hmm. Okay, I wasn't expecting that. When I see kJ I immediately think kilo-Joules. It seems to me a bit odd to expect students to know that they need not invoke the relevant constant values.

gneill said:
Hmm. Okay, I wasn't expecting that. When I see kJ I immediately think kilo-Joules. It seems to me a bit odd to expect students to know that they need not invoke the relevant constant values.
Yes, it threw me off at first. In the problem statement, it says, "answer in terms of k = 1/(4πε0)." It could have been clearer as what was meant here.

Likes gneill

Related to Are the answer choices wrong? (electric potential energy)

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy possessed by a charged particle due to its position in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy is calculated using the formula U=qV, where q is the charge of the particle and V is the electric potential at its position.

3. Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative if the particle has a negative charge and is in a region of higher potential.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential energy and electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential have a direct relationship. As the electric potential increases, so does the electric potential energy of a charged particle.

5. How does changing the distance between two charged particles affect their electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the electric potential energy decreases, and vice versa.