Kinetic friction and lost mechanical energy

In summary: No, it doesn't. Friction force times displacement per unit time will give you the rate of energy dissipation.
hunbogi
An Object slides with a consistent velocity down an incline that has a 30 degree angle.
I'm trying to find the kinetic friction and the ratio that the mechanical energy is lost on the way down.

I think I have already calculated µ with F(friction)= µmgcos(θ)=mgsin(θ) out comes Tan(θ) = µ
I think I did that correctly..
I'm struggling with the other part about the rate that the mechanical energy is lost. I would guess that it is not possible to get the answer in a number.
I tried to us PE = mgh -friction = k2.
mgh - µmghcos(θ) = ½mv^2þ
not sure what my answer might look like in the end.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you that u= tan(theta). As for the ratio- the ratio of mechanical energy lost to what? Thermal energy maybe?

It only says find the mechanical energy that is lost because of friction on the way down the incline.
I think U =mgs is the potential energy. energy on the end of the incline is K = ½mv^2
so I think the diffrent between the two is the friction force.

Ok so there is no ratio. I think your getting force and energy confused also. Be aware that force has units of Newtons= kg*m/s^2 and energy has units of Joules= N*m= kg*m^2/s^2. The mechanical energy lost is equal to the thermal energy generated. So if T is thermal energy then using conservation of energy set ΔKE+ΔPE+T= 0 and solve for T. btw this should probably not be posted in advanced physics

Okey thanks I will try that. New here so I didn't know where to post

Well, hello hunbogi, and welcome to PF :)

I suppose the consistent velocity is a constant velocity and the ratio is the rate, i.e. the mechanical energy loss per unit time.
There are two ways to find that rate:
One is friction force times displacement per unit time
Two is from potential energy loss per unit time
Answers should be the same

The rate of energy dissipation will depend on the velocity. Is the velocity given?

no it only gives the angle 30 degree and says the velocity is consistent

Consistent velocity does not make much sense. Is this a translation from another language?
If it's constant velocity, it can have any value, including zero. In which case there is no energy dissipation.
Something is missing and it may be due to translation.

Sorry it is constant velocity. mixed up in translation

Can you post the entire problem, as it is? Not just a summary.

An object slides with a constant velocity down an 30 degree incline
a) Find the friction force and find the ratio of the mechanical energy that is lost on the way down

Oh, I think you want to say "the fraction of mechanical energy". This could make sense.
It may ask "What fraction of the mechanical energy is lost due to friction". Like, one half or 1/3 or 0.2.

Still does not seem completely alright. It is not clear what mechanical energy they are talking about.
The kinetic energy does not change. So the decrease in potential energy will be equal to the work of the friction force.

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the surfaces, and it opposes the direction of motion.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are already in motion, while static friction occurs when two surfaces are not yet in motion. Static friction is typically stronger than kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and start the motion.

3. How is mechanical energy lost due to kinetic friction?

When an object is in motion and experiences kinetic friction, some of its mechanical energy is converted into heat energy due to the work done by friction. This results in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy, causing it to slow down or eventually come to a stop.

4. Is all mechanical energy lost due to kinetic friction?

No, not all mechanical energy is lost due to kinetic friction. Some energy may also be lost to other forms of friction, such as air resistance, or converted into other forms of energy, such as sound or light. However, kinetic friction is often the main source of energy loss in mechanical systems.

5. How can we reduce the effects of kinetic friction?

There are a few ways to reduce the effects of kinetic friction. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to reduce the friction between surfaces. Another way is to use smoother or more slippery materials for the surfaces in contact. Additionally, minimizing the force applied between the surfaces can also help reduce the effects of kinetic friction.