Kinetic friction coefficient of aluminum on lubricated cast iron

In summary, @Thijske and @nilsvoorkamp1 are investigating the friction between aluminum and carbon. They are using a different method and different materials which will be explained in more detail in their respective threads.
Thijske
Hey all,
I was recently searching for kinetic friction coefficients, and I noticed that for a reason which is unknown to me, some materials had not been appointed such coefficient. The specific kinetic friction coefficient that I'm looking for is aluminum on greasy/lubricated cast iron. Any type of motor oil would be used.
Does anyone know what value that coefficient has?

I know that it is possible to research this value (which actually feeds my question as to why it hasn't been done yet). Enclosed is a picture of how I tried to test it, before I realized it is quite hard and requires stackable weights to get a constant speed.
The idea of the experiment is that F=mg is as big as Fk.

If anyone is wondering, the following is an example of where one would be dealing with such coefficient. A car's engine has cylinders and pistons. To ensure a couple of things such as not losing pressure, cylinder rings are used. Those rings practically rub to the aluminum cylinder, and they have motor oil on it.
Eventually I'd like to figure out how much friction is generated with those cylinder rings with the formula Fk=fk*Fn.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Experiment.gif
    Experiment.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Likes nilsvoorkamp1
Engineering news on Phys.org
Okay, this thread is re-opened in the ME forum now for discussion. It is a continuation of this previous thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/friction-aluminium-on-carbon.982681/#post-6283200

but with updated constraints and materials. The OPs will update us with more information about their materials and methods in this thread. It turns out that @Thijske and @nilsvoorkamp1 are working on a school thesis project together, which is why they have posted fairly similar threads.

1. What is the kinetic friction coefficient of aluminum on lubricated cast iron?

The kinetic friction coefficient of aluminum on lubricated cast iron varies depending on the specific materials and conditions, but it typically falls within the range of 0.05-0.15. This means that for every 1 Newton of force applied to the aluminum, there will be a resistance force of 0.05-0.15 Newtons acting in the opposite direction due to friction with the lubricated cast iron surface.

2. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the movement of aluminum on lubricated cast iron?

The coefficient of kinetic friction determines the amount of resistance force that will act on the aluminum as it moves across the lubricated cast iron surface. A higher coefficient of friction means there will be a greater resistance force, making it more difficult for the aluminum to move. This can result in slower movement or even sticking/sliding in place.

3. What factors can affect the kinetic friction coefficient of aluminum on lubricated cast iron?

The kinetic friction coefficient can be affected by a variety of factors, including the roughness and surface finish of the aluminum and cast iron, the type and amount of lubricant used, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the speed and pressure of the aluminum moving across the surface.

4. How can the kinetic friction coefficient of aluminum on lubricated cast iron be measured?

The kinetic friction coefficient can be measured using a tribometer, which is a device that measures the frictional force between two surfaces. This involves applying a known force to the aluminum and measuring the resulting resistance force as it moves across the lubricated cast iron surface. The coefficient of friction can then be calculated using this data.

5. What are some common applications of knowing the kinetic friction coefficient of aluminum on lubricated cast iron?

Understanding the kinetic friction coefficient of aluminum on lubricated cast iron can be useful in a variety of engineering and manufacturing applications. For example, it can help in designing and optimizing machinery and equipment that involves the movement of aluminum parts on lubricated cast iron surfaces, such as conveyor systems, bearings, and sliding mechanisms. It can also be important in selecting the most suitable lubricant for a particular application to reduce friction and wear on the aluminum and cast iron surfaces.