1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic friction on smooth then rough surface

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a 2.0 kg mass at rest on a horizontal surface at point zero. For 30.0 m, a constant horizontal force of 6 N is applied to the mass.

For the first 15 m, the surface is frictionless. For the second 15 m, there is friction between the surface and the mass.

The 6 N force continues but the mass slows to rest at the end of the 30 m. The coefficient of friction between the surface and the mass is _____.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    Work-kinetic energy theorem
    F_friction = mu * m * g

3. The attempt at a solution

To solve this, I found the velocity at 15 m by first using F=ma to find that the acceleration for the first 15 m is 3 m/s^2.

Then I used a kinematic equation to find that the velocity at 15 m is sqrt(90).

So then, for the second 15 m, I drew a force diagram and saw that for the mass to decelerate to 0 in the exact same distance as it took to accelerate, then the net force must be the same magnitude but in the reverse direction to slow it down.

So I thought that since it was previously just 6 N to the right, I thought the force of friction would have to be 12 N to the left so that the net force is 6 N to the left.

Force of friction = coeff_fric * m * g

So that means that 12 = coeff_fric * m * g

Solving for coeff_fric, I got 0.6.

But that is apparently wrong since it's supposed to be 0.3.

But the only way to get 0.3 is if Force of friction = 6 N to the left. But I don't see why it should be 6 N instead of 12 N to the left.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2015 #2
    total force on the object in rough surface is, [(coffee-of friction)mg-F] coffee of friction = u
    by work energy theorem, kinetic energy is lost in doing work against friction,
    so F.x=1/2mv^2
    F is = [(coffee-of friction)mg-F]
    putting values we get
    (20u-6)*15=1/2*90*2 ------>15 meters is length of rough surface

20u=12
    u=.6
    [[[[[[[[correct answer is .6]]]]]]]
    if u=.3 then both forces will balance each other so there will be no deceleration
    and body will continue
    .3 is WRONG answer

4. Jun 4, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

@Sagar Singh coffee of friction = coefficient of friction? :wink:

I agree with 0.6

5. Jun 4, 2015 #4
    haha typing mistake, coefficient of friction
    i want to write, (coeff) but it auto corrected to (coffee) to coffee

6. Jun 4, 2015 #5
    Thank you everyone! Just wanted to confirm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted