Kinetic Friction Problem (Truck Braking)

In summary, the brakes were applied and the truck skidded to a stop in 3.6s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road was 0.51.
Spartan Erik

Homework Statement

"A bread truck is traveling at 18 m/s on a horizontal road. The brakes are applied and the truck skids to a stop in 3.6s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is:"

Homework Equations

Kinetic Friction = coefficient of kinetic friction x normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how you can manipulate velocity and time to get kinetic friction..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the truck's acceleration?

Well if brakes are being applied, the truck is decelerating until velocity is 0

Find the deceleration.

Well acceleration is in units of m/s^2, so 18 m/s / 3.6s = 5 m/s^2 if I'm not mistaken

Good! Now make use of it. Hint: What does Newton's 2nd law tell you?

Well F = MA, but I can't solve for force or mass.. unless of course there's something big that I'm missing..

Make use of what you had in your first post. The "F" is the kinetic friction force.

Alright so far I've established that the acceleration is 5 m/s^2, the velocity was 18 m/s, and that the time to stop was 3.6s.

Since Kinetic Friction Force = coefficient of kinetic friction x normal force

I can break the normal force into mass and acceleration, giving the equation
Kinetic Friction Force = coefficient of kinetic friction x mass x acceleration (5 m/s^2)

But I still don't see what unknowns I can solve for..

The normal force does not equal "mass X acceleration". To find the normal force add up the vertical components of all forces and set it equal to zero.

Oh man I feel like beating myself over the head with a stick right about now.. quite a eureka moment.

Alright so: kinetic frictional force = coefficient of k x normal force
coefficient of k = kinetic frictional force / normal force

Based off that, mass is irrelevant, so it is ultimately acceleration / gravity

So the coefficient is 0.51.. man.. thanks for spurring the ole noggin!

Sweet. :wink:

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of the objects rubbing against each other.

2. How does kinetic friction affect truck braking?

Kinetic friction plays a crucial role in truck braking as it is the force that slows down the truck. When the brake pads of a truck come into contact with the rotating wheels, kinetic friction is created, which converts the kinetic energy of the truck into heat energy, causing it to slow down and eventually stop.

3. What factors affect kinetic friction in truck braking?

The coefficient of friction between the brake pads and the wheels, the weight of the truck, and the speed at which the truck is traveling are the main factors that affect kinetic friction in truck braking. A higher coefficient of friction, heavier truck, and higher speed will result in a greater amount of kinetic friction and a shorter braking distance.

4. How can the braking distance of a truck be calculated?

The braking distance of a truck can be calculated using the formula: d = (v2/2μg), where d is the braking distance, v is the initial velocity of the truck, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can the kinetic friction of a truck be reduced?

The kinetic friction of a truck can be reduced by using materials with a lower coefficient of friction for the brake pads, regularly maintaining the brakes to ensure they are in good condition, and avoiding excessive speeding which can lead to overheating and reduced friction between the brake pads and wheels.