1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Friction Problem (Truck Braking)

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A bread truck is traveling at 18 m/s on a horizontal road. The brakes are applied and the truck skids to a stop in 3.6s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is:"

2. Relevant equations

Kinetic Friction = coefficient of kinetic friction x normal force

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how you can manipulate velocity and time to get kinetic friction..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What's the truck's acceleration?

4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Well if brakes are being applied, the truck is decelerating until velocity is 0

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Find the deceleration.

6. Sep 18, 2008 #5
    Well acceleration is in units of m/s^2, so 18 m/s / 3.6s = 5 m/s^2 if I'm not mistaken

7. Sep 18, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Good! Now make use of it. Hint: What does Newton's 2nd law tell you?

8. Sep 18, 2008 #7
    Well F = MA, but I can't solve for force or mass.. unless of course there's something big that I'm missing..

9. Sep 18, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Make use of what you had in your first post. The "F" is the kinetic friction force.

10. Sep 18, 2008 #9
    Alright so far I've established that the acceleration is 5 m/s^2, the velocity was 18 m/s, and that the time to stop was 3.6s.

Since Kinetic Friction Force = coefficient of kinetic friction x normal force

I can break the normal force into mass and acceleration, giving the equation
    Kinetic Friction Force = coefficient of kinetic friction x mass x acceleration (5 m/s^2)

But I still don't see what unknowns I can solve for..

11. Sep 18, 2008 #10

Doc Al

The normal force does not equal "mass X acceleration". To find the normal force add up the vertical components of all forces and set it equal to zero.

12. Sep 18, 2008 #11
    Oh man I feel like beating myself over the head with a stick right about now.. quite a eureka moment.

Alright so: kinetic frictional force = coefficient of k x normal force
    coefficient of k = kinetic frictional force / normal force

Based off that, mass is irrelevant, so it is ultimately acceleration / gravity

So the coefficient is 0.51.. man.. thanks for spurring the ole noggin!

13. Sep 18, 2008 #12

Doc Al

Sweet. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?